Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 250 vs. 300 grain? >

250 vs. 300 grain?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250 vs. 300 grain?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 PM

Default 250 vs. 300 grain?

I am new to the forum, but it appears thatthis is a good source of information. I am by no means an expert on Muzzleloaders, I got back into them about 3 years ago. I currently shoot Shockwave 250's (I know there a lot of opinions on bullets) out of a TC Omega. I am please with the performance, but I am considering going to the 300 grain.

Pros and Cons? (may quarry are mule deer, and maybe elk).
Old 07-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 250 vs. 300 grain?

Sure.... switch to the 300s. Increasing the bullet length/weight roughly another 20% helps.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:09 PM

I have used both of these bulletswith success on elk. I shot my biggest 6 X 6 with the 300 grain Shockwave in the New Mexico 2004 season. Hit in the chest at 70 yards, the bullet angled forward and broke the opposite shoulder. Bull ran about 50 yards and wobbled for about five seconds before going down. Found the bullet under the hide. It had separated its jacket and core, but appeared to have stayed together until the very end of its path. Dead is dead . . . . :&gt

I used the 250 Shockwave last year. Hit a big cow broadside in the ribs at about 150 yards. Bullet went clear through. She was down in under two seconds.

I have been shooting the 200 gr Shockwave that past few months and intend to try it this fall in New Mexico. This load is going 2400 fps and shoots almost MOA with 130 grains of Jim Shockey Gold, and has the trajectory to go 250 yards. Having heard on this board of folks shooting moose with this bullet, I am hopeful it will have sufficient penetration.

So, in summary, I think it depends mostly on which one your guns shoots the best. These are among the best bullets out there if you are looking for a high performance sabot load.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

lone hunterut

I still use a 300 grain bullet for Elk - looking for more penetration @ longer ranges, but for deer I do back down to to the 250 area. The 250 SW probably would do everthing you want a bullet to do, with better velocity, and flatter shooting than the 300. I am currently shooting 10mm 200 grain XTP's (to cheap to pay for SW's or SST's) - the flatter shooting, velocity, and energy the bullet carries out to 150 yards will do in any whitetail I am hunting.

My only complaint???? about SW's is at the velocity that most are shooting them and @ close range thay tend to pass though the thin skin of a deer and the soft tissue without much expansion... In fact it is a pretty clean wound channel...The animal is dead but it might take awhile before it knows it. Yet on the other hand the HP's that I shoot are great and work well to 150 yards but after that your SW's really out perform them.

For thin skinned animals I vote for the 240/250/260 class bullet, UNLess you a shooting all lead... although, I still wantto try the 200 grain on whitetail this year - I am convinced it will do the job.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome lone hunterut!

You are right, you will learn a lot from these guys (and gals)!
I've only been a member for a few months and I love it.

Thanks for a great 1st post!
I was very happy with these guys' answers, I was going to ask the same question pretty soon, but they answered all of my questions! That's what it's all about!

I'm going to Eastern Kentucky hunting whitetail with my Encore in October and after reading this I'm going to try the 200 Grain SW.

I'll let y'all know how it works for me.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

lovethebigguns

Those 200 grain SW's have been very successful for a hunter in Canada, Omega, he has used them on several occasions. When you look at the ballistics on paper they sure look good.

The main point will be... will they load in your gun? If you are using a TC Omega/Encore - some of those barrels are awful tight from what I have been told.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

thanks Sabotloader for the heads up.

I'll give em a try and see if they'll go in my Encore.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lone hunterut

I am new to the forum, but it appears thatthis is a good source of information. I am by no means an expert on Muzzleloaders, I got back into them about 3 years ago. I currently shoot Shockwave 250's (I know there a lot of opinions on bullets) out of a TC Omega. I am please with the performance, but I am considering going to the 300 grain.

Pros and Cons? (may quarry are mule deer, and maybe elk).
I'd certainly want a bullet heavier than 250 grains for elk!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot depends on what you need,I hunt an area where there are open medows for elk,since the 250 bonded have come out its just a matter of weather to use a bonded 250[I tried them on wild boar and the penatration immpressed me] or the 50/40 -200gr; when all the personal preferances are aside they will all do the job its bullet placement that is important so I shoot what groups best at long range under weather and terran conditions as close to hunting conditions as possible. Lee
Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I'd certainly want a bullet heavier than 250 grains for elk!
Exactly!

We also need to be smart about our bullet speeds - so the Shockwave does what it's designed to do. Don't overspeed them & they mushroom nicely.

Bigger is better with a single-shot gun,correct bullet speed -- plus hunting in a non-secluded environment that may call for a much faster aim&shot.

I could never use a small 200 gr. bullet sittingon the groundagainst a tree with no deer blind, no bait & on public land with trespassing hunters -- the same hunters who await a wounded deer running towards them.

That's the description of how I hunt deer. If it were elk, it would be in the same manner. I certainly recommend the 300 over the 200 & 250for both deer & elk. It may not be necessary for deer, but it sure does help -- once you find the proper speed range for the bullet to perform correctly.

Quick Reply: 250 vs. 300 grain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.