Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega barrel problem? >

Omega barrel problem?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega barrel problem?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega barrel problem?

I am beginning to wonder if I have a problem with my barrel. A couple of years ago 3 of us bought T/C Omegas. Of the 3 of us, I spend more time at the range by far. The other guys 2 guns were very easy to find a "sweet spot" in with powder/bullet combos. First let me say that we hunt Colorado, so sabots are not legal, only conicals. I have found only a couple of combos that work "adequate" in my gun, however, it has taken a lot of range time to find these. I have yet to find a load that I have extreme confidence in past 50 yards. I have used 777, BM3, and APP. The only one that shoots half way Ok in my gun is 777, but of course, I have a bad "crud ring" problem. I just got a conversion kit for small rifle primers, and haven't tried that yet.

What makes me wonder about the barrel, is that between shots, I always swab with both sides of a spit patch and then both sides of 2 dry patches. Even so, when loading a big conical such as the no excuses 50 cal. 460 grain bullets, they load easy for most of the way, but about 2/3 of the way down the barrel there is a spot that is noticaby tighter to get past than normal. Then it gets eaiser againjust above the powder charge. This is true regardless of which powder I use. Could this indicate a barrel problem? Should I visit with T/C about it?

thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega barrel problem?

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

Could this indicate a barrel problem? Should I visit with T/C about it?

thanks
I don't see what harm it would it do. Three years at the range is a considerable investment in that rifle, far more valuable than the barrel, or even the entire rifle. I think you have given the rifle every opportunity to tune in and T/C should and would discuss it with you.

Did you draw MZ season in Colorado? Maybe I'll see you in the field.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a muzzy cow tag this year. Thought about hunting with a bow again this year, but just really want some fresh elk meat!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a muzzy cow tag this year. Thought about hunting with a bow again this year, but just really want some fresh elk meat!
Good luck in that quest! Our party has 2 cow and one bull for MZ season. I have the bull. My brother in law and friend drew their cows second choice and each continued to add to their preference for a nominated unit.

I've been thinking of getting the video set at http://www.elknuts.com for elk calling. The one about calling cow elkalso piqued my interest. You guys have any success at calling in cow elk?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try power belt bullets
Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am beginning to wonder if I have a problem with my barrel. A couple of years ago 3 of us bought T/C Omegas. Of the 3 of us, I spend more time at the range by far. The other guys 2 guns were very easy to find a "sweet spot" in with powder/bullet combos. First let me say that we hunt Colorado, so sabots are not legal, only conicals. I have found only a couple of combos that work "adequate" in my gun, however, it has taken a lot of range time to find these. I have yet to find a load that I have extreme confidence in past 50 yards. I have used 777, BM3, and APP. The only one that shoots half way Ok in my gun is 777, but of course, I have a bad "crud ring" problem. I just got a conversion kit for small rifle primers, and haven't tried that yet.

What makes me wonder about the barrel, is that between shots, I always swab with both sides of a spit patch and then both sides of 2 dry patches. Even so, when loading a big conical such as the no excuses 50 cal. 460 grain bullets, they load easy for most of the way, but about 2/3 of the way down the barrel there is a spot that is noticaby tighter to get past than normal. Then it gets eaiser againjust above the powder charge. This is true regardless of which powder I use. Could this indicate a barrel problem? Should I visit with T/C about it.
What bulets, powder & swabbing substances are the other two "successful" Omega purchasers using -- that's different than your routine?

My best success with conicals in my Omega are 80 gr. 777 with 270 gr. Buffalo Ballet HP.

Item #50270.

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/buffalo.htm#ballet
Old 06-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

My best success with conicals in my Omega are 80 gr. 777 with 270 gr. Buffalo Ballet HP.
Those 270 grain Ballets are one of my favorites. I suspect that they shoot great in about any rifle.

Were you aware that txhunter58 is hunting elk? A 270 hollowpoint with a MV of about 1750-1800 fps may be a bit explosive in the elk txhunter58 intends to shoot. What would you reccommend for elk? Will he have shoot 270 grain HP's, or do you have an acceptable alternative to suggest that he hasn't yet tried and works for you?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

Those 270 grain Ballets are one of my favorites. I suspect that they shoot great in about any rifle. Were you aware that txhunter58 is hunting elk?
Phil

What I do not understand is why folks in Colorado buy fast-twist rifles for shooting conicals other than Powerbeltsin the first place. There are other inlines in slower twists that generally shoot conicals better & with less recoil than No Excuses produce..... ie... Traditions Inc is one manufacturerthat comes to mind.

If I lived there, I would be using my sidelocks -either my 1-48" twist in 50-cal with a 385 gr Hornady Great Plains bulletor my big-bore roundballer 1-70" twistin 58-cal.

Here in Michigan, I use Buffalo S.S.Bs in 370 grain for elk-size game. If I had to use a conical in my Omega, it would be a copperAT Powerbelt 348 grain.... nothing else. I hate the recoil that comes with No Excuses & 777 powder.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phil

What I do not understand is why folks in Colorado buy fast-twist rifles for shooting conicals other than Powerbeltsin the first place. There are other inlines in slower twists that generally shoot conicals better & with less recoil than No Excuses produce..... ie... Traditions Inc is one manufacturerthat comes to mind.

If I lived there, I would be using my sidelocks -either my 1-48" twist in 50-cal with a 385 gr Hornady Great Plains bulletor my big-bore roundballer 1-70" twistin 58-cal.

Here in Michigan, I use Buffalo S.S.Bs in 370 grain for elk-size game. If I had to use a conical in my Omega, it would be a copperAT Powerbelt 348 grain.... nothing else. I hate the recoil that comes with No Excuses & 777 powder.
Its really to bad Buffalo doesn't make the 270 in a 290 solid point version.

I've had very good luck with the 385 GP's in my Hawken 1:48. While I've never hunted elk with it, it sure nuff slays deer. As for me, I bought an inline to have a little less maintenance. I was thinking the 1:28 twist would help me with the heavyweights (400+) espescially at subsonic velocities which I want to experiment with. And I think I'm gonna come out in good shape with the rifle I chose (SS Sidekick).

It does occur to me, as you mentioned before, that not all barrels are friendly to full-bore and saboted conicals alike. Lead bullets need cut rifling, i think you mentioned deep rifling being good full bore conicals but not sabots. Personally, I think manufactures should make their rifles to favor one or the other and tout what the rifle is built for.

Lately I've been nursing a theory that full bore conicals hate a QLA. Especially heavy conicals. Basically goes like this. If the breech gases favor one side to break by the conical before it exits the QLA, then the nose of the bullet kicks towards the break resulting, perhaps, to the problems txhunter58 is experiencing, a spray at 50 yards. It may also explain why he does better with powerbelts, but then, I just don't know.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Consider unleading the barrel?mine had burrs in the spots you are talking about possable to cause a bit of leading if it was me I clean the barrel with a good plastic and lead remover and fire lap the barrel it worked for me now I am stuck with it cause it shoots to good to take a chance on trading for the the stainless with a laminated stock I would like to have. Lee

Quick Reply: Omega barrel problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.