HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Omega barrel problem?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Triple Se7en
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega barrel problem?

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

I am beginning to wonder if I have a problem with my barrel. A couple of years ago 3 of us bought T/C Omegas. Of the 3 of us, I spend more time at the range by far. The other guys 2 guns were very easy to find a "sweet spot" in with powder/bullet combos. First let me say that we hunt Colorado, so sabots are not legal, only conicals. I have found only a couple of combos that work "adequate" in my gun, however, it has taken a lot of range time to find these. I have yet to find a load that I have extreme confidence in past 50 yards. I have used 777, BM3, and APP. The only one that shoots half way Ok in my gun is 777, but of course, I have a bad "crud ring" problem. I just got a conversion kit for small rifle primers, and haven't tried that yet.

What makes me wonder about the barrel, is that between shots, I always swab with both sides of a spit patch and then both sides of 2 dry patches. Even so, when loading a big conical such as the no excuses 50 cal. 460 grain bullets, they load easy for most of the way, but about 2/3 of the way down the barrel there is a spot that is noticaby tighter to get past than normal. Then it gets eaiser againjust above the powder charge. This is true regardless of which powder I use. Could this indicate a barrel problem? Should I visit with T/C about it.
What bulets, powder & swabbing substances are the other two "successful" Omega purchasers using -- that's different than your routine?

My best success with conicals in my Omega are 80 gr. 777 with 270 gr. Buffalo Ballet HP.

Item #50270.

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/buffalo.htm#ballet