Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Aiming strategies w/ a T/C peep >

Aiming strategies w/ a T/C peep

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Aiming strategies w/ a T/C peep

Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Aiming strategies w/ a T/C peep

Just put a peep on my T/C Hawken.
Are there any aiming strategies that any of you have when using a peep?
How about general technique for it?
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Aiming strategies w/ a T/C peep

Just remember to look through the peep and let your eye find the center of light;every one I know of that has trouble using a peep trys to look at the peep that puts the focus of your eye in the wrong place. Lee
Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Campo

Just put a peep on my T/C Hawken.
Are there any aiming strategies that any of you have when using a peep?
How about general technique for it?
Thanks!
I put more focus on the front sight and 99% of the time your eye will automatically center the rear sight. Then the rest is up to you, where you want the front sight as a true six o'clock, modified, or full cover. I used to use a modified but have gotten away with that and went to a true open six o'clock hold. This way I never cover any part of where the bullet will actually hit.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

When using your peep you will have to get use to dead center aiming and forget about post shooting. Treat the sight like it is a scope and put the front sight ball exactly where you want to hit. Then adjust the rear sight using the same left to right up and down rules as a scope.

As Cayugad posted it will come almost automatic having the bead centered in the apature.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess that I don't understand where exactly you focus. I always focus on the target, which makes the front sight slighly fuzzy and therear sight very fuzzy,however I have heard it multiple times to focus on the front sight. Howdo you know exactly where on the target you are aiming ifthe targetis "fuzzy".
Old 06-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would guess that you have to do what works for you,it does change with the type and location of the sights all I can tell you is that I won two state over all championshipsand placed 3 in national using the front sight as a focus point.
Lee
Old 06-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58
I guess that I don't understand where exactly you focus. I always focus on the target, which makes the front sight slighly fuzzy and therear sight very fuzzy,however I have heard it multiple times to focus on the front sight. Howdo you know exactly where on the target you are aiming ifthe targetis "fuzzy".
The unfortunate situation with open sights is that one must compromise on the focus point. Even so, I would agree that the best "compromise" is the front sight. Targets are going to be out of focus, but this is more of a problem for the range that it is for game. With game you won't have any trouble getting the bead where you need it on the animal.

Like cayugad, I prefer an aim point top and center of the bead, however, I have found this gives me trouble when centering a bead in an aperture. Itjust feels more natural to center "everything". Again, this won't be much of a problem on game but one may find that the bead begins obscures targets at the range at the farther distances. Using targets like crosses or x's that extend well beyond the bead at those ranges (when sighting) will give a reference to center in, not unlike the centering the bead in the aperture.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 06-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Are there any aiming strategies that any of you have when using a peep? How about general technique for it? Thanks"

The peep or aperture sight is the simplest of all iron sights to use. Use the biggest opening the sight has, such as unscrewing the insert and aim through the big hole. You merely LOOK THROUGH THE HOLE, and place the tip of the front sight on the spot where you want the bullet to land. Then squeeze the trigger. You actually IGNORE the rear sight, as your eye will naturally center on the point of strongest light, (the center of the aperture!!).

There really is no "strategy" involved-it's very simple. The only decision you have to make is when zeroing it in, do you want set the sights so the bulletstrikes (dead-on hold) at the very tip of the front sight, or in the center of the bullseye when the tip of the front sight is tangent to the bottom edge of the bull? ("Punkin on the post" sight picture.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/eldeguello/Punkinonpost.jpg

And a center hold:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/eldeguello/Centerhold.jpg

You may have noticed that on the cetner hold picture, I have left out the image of the rear aperture. This is because you should NOT be conscious of it while aiming! Ignore the peep, place the front post tip where you want to hit, and squeeze!

The fastest of all possible iron sights.........
Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

I would recommend to redrill the peep if use for hunting,I find that the peep hole is about .450 a little to small for early and late evening shots.I like to redrill with a 1/64 that will bring the hole larger to .085 ,still excellent for target shooting .I also installed a front fiber optic sight, I know it not traditional but helps when hunting.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lonewolf5348

I would recommend to redrill the peep if use for hunting,I find that the peep hole is about .450 a little to small for early and late evening shots.I like to redrill with a 1/64 that will bring the hole larger to .085 ,still excellent for target shooting .I also installed a front fiber optic sight, I know it not traditional but helps when hunting.
With the ones I use, I just zero on the range with the target disc insert in place, then unscrew it and leave it at home when hunting. You just look through the big hole that's left.......

Quick Reply: Aiming strategies w/ a T/C peep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.