Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No Excuses

Old 06-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default No Excuses

How many of you have shot these? What one was it and how did you like it? I am about to get 2 boxes of the 54cal 535gr. I plan on using it for elk. I might get a Great Plains Hunter by Lyman with a 1-32" twist for shooting conicals. Anyone use the 535gr on Elk? I know Cayugad likes the 50cal 460gr.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: No Excuses

How many of you have shot these? What one was it and how did you like it? I am about to get 2 boxes of the 54cal 535gr. I plan on using it for elk. I might get a Great Plains Hunter by Lyman with a 1-32" twist for shooting conicals. Anyone use the 535gr on Elk? I know Cayugad likes the 50cal 460gr.
Are you going to be shooting these in your Renegade? I have never shot them in my .54 calibe Renegades so be sure and post your results....
Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

That monster bullet really shines in smaller calibers with ultra-fast twists.. ie.... especially the 45-cal with 1-20" twist. They may work well in your "undecided" Lyman 54 with 1-32" twist, but you will need to increase the powder charge.

With the butt-stock design of the Lyman notsupporting a recoil pad, it may be a good idea to keepsome Ben-Gay andMotrin in your Possibles Bag...lol
Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if it any help my 1-38 wont stablize anything over 375 gr.,but the 350 with 150 gr shoots best it blew right through a 700 pd bear when I was in Canada. But have you ever heard the expression "kills on one end cripples on the other" ? Lee
Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

As these guys are telling you.. if you go shooting large chunks of lead with large powder charges, you better be ready to get knocked around. I used to shoot 426 grain Buffalo Bullet Conicals out of my Renegade with 90 grains or less and they were stiff but not something I could not shoot.

I shoot 405 grain PowerBelts with 80 grains of powder in my Lyman Trade Rifle and again, accuracy is exceptional and the recoil is not all that bad. But you need to understand these big chunks of lead do not have to be pushed all that hard to make them work. You try pushing 500+ grains of conical with 100 grains or more, you better not be recoil sensative. You really do not need to push the conical bullet all that hard.

This is a picture of one of my BUSTED STEEL PLATES from my bullet trap yesterday. [:@] I was shooting 500 grain NEI Bull Shop Concicals with 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f under them. Now granted this plate has been pounded hundred and hundreds of times in or near the same place. But this steel in places runs 1/2 to 3/4 inch in thickness. I was shooting at 100 yards. So when you start to think of penetration by a conical.. how hard is an elks shoulder blade compared to 3/4 inch steel plate? Do you think that conical would poke a hole in a deer?

You can see the conical bullet laying there by the plate. Flat as a pan cake but it would have sure done a number on something it hit.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I might try some of them out of my Renegade but I really hope to get a conical rifle they will shoot well out of. Do you think a Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1-32" twist will shoot big chunks of lead? I am not afraid of recoil. I can handle a good amount of recoil. I love shootinglarge centerfire rifles. How is $385 for a Lyman Great Plains Hunter? Grafs has it for that price. Cabelas has it for $499!!! I think this would be a great shooting rifle.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_1529.html
Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I might try some of them out of my Renegade but I really hope to get a conical rifle they will shoot well out of. Do you think a Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1-32" twist will shoot big chunks of lead? I am not afraid of recoil. I can handle a good amount of recoil. I love shootinglarge centerfire rifles. How is $385 for a Lyman Great Plains Hunter? Grafs has it for that price. Cabelas has it for $499!!! I think this would be a great shooting rifle.

That question is very hard to answer.There is a person I know that shoots a Great Plains Hunter, and he shoots R.E.A.L. conicals and some Lyman Great Plains out of it with excellent results. I say this because he hauls a deer home every year with it.

Whether the one you purchased would shoot the large No Excuse Conicals is impossible to say. As far as that goes it might be a tack driver with them or a real flyer. Your Renegade might even shoot them better. I learned from all my rifles is... never try and pre guess their load. Granted a 1-32 should shoot conicals and I am sure there is one out there it is going to shoot excellent. The question is, which one.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

The NE 535 .54 shoots great in my White Bison, but it has a 1-28 twist.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks alot for that link!!! I saved it to my favorites. 353 dollars is a good deal. October country has it for 544 dollars!!!! I think I would buy it from DNR Sports now.

Do you guys think it might be better to get something like a Cabelas Hawkens and put a GM 1-28" twist barrel on it? I am sure that I could find a good heavy conical that that Lyman will like though.

Quick Reply: No Excuses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.