Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 lyman great plains rifle >

lyman great plains rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lyman great plains rifle

Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default lyman great plains rifle

Guys, I found a good deal on a lyman great plains rifle at the local gun shop. I think this has a slow twist barrel (factory). I was wondering if it would shoot conicals OK - something like maxi hunters or REAL bullets. I'm thinking that accuracy will be better with round balls but need some answers froms someone who has experience shooting these rifles.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: lyman great plains rifle

Guys, I found a good deal on a lyman great plains rifle at the local gun shop. I think this has a slow twist barrel (factory). I was wondering if it would shoot conicals OK - something like maxi hunters or REAL bullets. I'm thinking that accuracy will be better with round balls but need some answers froms someone who has experience shooting these rifles.
The Lyman Great Plains Rifle has a 1-60 twist in the new models. The real older ones had a 1-66 twist. They are a roundball shooter for the most part. You can load them pretty hot, like 90-110 grains of powder and they still shoot true. My friend hunts with a .54 caliber and so far any deer he shot at with a roundball never went anywhere but the freezer.

A ball-et might shoot all right out of the rifle, but that twist is a little slow for conicals.You could also try a minnie ball but again, some will shoot them some will not. One thing to keep in mind, if you can get the rifle reasonable enough. You can purchase a Great Plains Hunter barrel which has a 1-32 twist and they are very good at shooting conicals, even sabots. The barrels range from $99.00 - $129.00 (or used to).
Old 06-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Cayugad - I think I'll go down today and get it. But I'm going to take my CVA bore light along too and check to make sure the bore is "clean". I have about 3 boxes of .490 round balls and a bunch of patches.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Dominant Buck

The only thing you might have to change out on the rifle is the nipple. If this is a factory nipple which I doubt. Some of the factory nipples were not the best. RMC Sports sells (or used to) Lyman rifle stainless steel nipples for the rifle.

Other then that they normally are great roundball shooters. I hunt with a person that shoots one and he has done some impressive shooting with that roundball rifle.. His is a .54 caliber but a .50 caliber will do just fine.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

the rifle looks new and i believe it is a factory nipple. probably a wall hanger from the previous owner. just have to check the bore. I will look into the RMC nipple though. thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Spike

I use buffalo balletts and hornady great plains bullets and they both shoot fine