Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ultra mag with a Millet Scope >

Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

Old 04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

This is what the new Ultra Mag looks like with a Millet Buck Silver mounted on Weaver bases with Warne Quick Release rings. I've been so busy this week I dropped the rifle off at a gun smith and told him to mount it. I told him not to remove the rear sight. As I see it, there is no reason to have quick release rings when you have no sights in the rifle.

Well I picked it up today and was a little concerned about how far the rifle sat back on the rifle. Even the gunsmith told me he could not get it any further forward and suggested if it does not work out, I might want to change scopes..

So I took the rifle home. Of course the weather was raining, but that never stopped me. I set the target out at 50 yards and was using Kleenbore 209 Primers as the ignition system. The load was 90 grains of Goex 3f (I figured if I was going to take a shot between the eyes might as well make it good) a 1/16th wad and the 460 grain No Excuses.

I got smacked a couple times when I was not paying attention.. but if you hold on to it, all it does is knock your hat around. I was pleased with the accuracy. Although, a few more raps between the eyes and I might have to change scopes...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

I need the utmost eye relief when shooting conicals that size. Perhaps I would of reached for my Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32with 6" of eye-relief.

I promised myself a few years ago that I would never sustain another brow-area cut from a scope.

Nice set-up there! Just keep a bandaid or two in your wallet...[:@]

I'll bet you are happy to see some of your lawn again too!

Just be careful where you walk... dodging months of dog poop...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is that snow in the back ground? It got up to 90 in AR today could we barrow a bit of that snow? Lee
Old 04-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Cayugad - Boy, that White can sure throw a conical...when it's in the right hands of course. By the way, are you getting used to the cocking mechanism being on the left hand side of the receiver?

After doing some research on the Ultra Mag and reading all the reports that folks have written it seems that it's a real hum dinger of a rifle...it's just that darn cocking mechanism being on the wrong side (if you're a right handed shooter).

Why in the heck them there boys at White do that ??? [:@]
Old 04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter John, I thought that would bother me too, but it took about 5 minutes to get used to it.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en .. I agree. I hate the eye brow smacks. If I can not get used to this, I will change over to a different scope or worse comes to worse, take the rear sight off and move that scope up. I have to admit it is nice to see the lawn but that just means more work taking care of that. As for the doggy drops, I trained mine to never use the lawn, it heads for the woods when the urge calls. In 12 years, I never had to pick a pile.

lemoyne.. that is indeed snow. In fact I took the ATV back in the woods and almost got stuck in two places where the snow was so deep I bottomed out.. I have to go and drop some trees this week and stop shooting.

hunter john.. believe it or not the lever on the other side is no bother at all. I don't even think about it.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 PM

Really nice looking set-up. Not bad shooter either.
Yep send me a couple inches of that snow; they
are calling for maybe 90 this weekend.[]I can tell
you them eyebrow stiches, itch like crazy before
they come out[&:]. Keep us posted on the new one!
Danny

Old 04-14-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking set up there.
I like the yards back ground too.
Never had the brow bangs as I had to much respect for dads 284.
Nice groups, I have always wondered though why a person can get a couple of holes touching and the third one is out aways?
Is your shooting bench thawed out yet?

Al
Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

yes the bench is finally thawed out and moving again. Now the snow banks are melted enough that I can move around. The yard is kind of soft and the bench does not roll real well yet, but I can and have moved it. I will be cutting deeper into the shooting lane soon. Then I can have at least 100 yards of range all year long. It will make a much better testing area for me.

I have been thinking all night about the position of that scope on the rifle and I do believe I have to remove the rear sight or change out scopes. If I went to that small Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32 I might be able to keep the sights. Next trip to the city will make up my mind. Or a couple good smashed in the face by the current set up..
Old 04-14-2006, 07:09 AM

Cayugad – I understand the dilemma facing you. You bought a hum dinger of a rifle and you want to flexibility of using it with a scope and without…hence you had the quick release rings installed. Who can blame a guy for wanting to be able to use his newest toy for every occasion?

Seems like you have 3 choices:

- Leave the current set-up “as is” and accept the fact that you may be smacked around every so often. (worst choice IMO)

- Remove the Millet scope and designate the rifle a short range “iron sight only weapon.

- Again, remove the nice Millet scope, but install a shorter scope or red dot.

Given your extensive collection of muzzleloaders and scopes, it seems all options are on the table and basically it will come down to personal choice. Obviously, a scope can be installed or removed at any point so it’s not like you’re committed to your first decision anyway.

Man, wish I had your problems… Please keep us posted on your White’s performance and what you ultimately decide.

Quick Reply: Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.