Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Home made Conical lube >

Home made Conical lube

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Home made Conical lube

Old 04-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Home made Conical lube

by the way that solid lube I told you about was developed by a person called Stumpkiller on a different forum. He tried a lot of different things before he came up with this. I believe he calls it Moose Snot!

The other lube Stumpkiller made up he calls Moose Milk. This is the lube I use on my patch and ball. I actually used to make a similar lube but used water soluable cutting oil instead of Castor oil, and I did not add any Witch Hazel. I used the Water Soluable lube for years and then tried Stumpkiller's Moose Milk and stuck with this as I like the idea of the Castor Oil better. It is the only patch lube I use. In the winter when hunting I use it as a dry lube by soaking the patch material and then dry the patch on a old window screen.

Liquid Lube - Moose Milk[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
8 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
3 ounces of Castor Oil
4 ounces of Witch Hazel
16 ounces of tap water
1 ounce of Murphy’s Oil Soap

(make sure you mix the ingredients in the exact order they are listed)

I buy a yard of material of 100% cotton blue strip pillow tick at the local wal mart. I wash that in the washing machine. I then line dry the material. After that you can tear the strip real easy off that bolt of material. I like to tear off an inch and a half. Then you soak that strip in moose milk. Ring the excess moose milk out. Then I lay that on an old window screen in the sun and let it dry. This is a dry patch . If you like a more wet patch, you can spritz them with a spritzer bottle.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Cayugad - I recall seeing the Moose Milk recipe posted earlier on this forum and like the Solid Lube recipe, I copied it to a safe place for future reference (eventually my kids will grow up and then I can shoot as often as I used to ).

Anyway, I noticed that the Moose Milk formula that I have specifies Non-Chlorinated water, whereas the Moose Milk formula you just shared specifies tap water.

Not to be nit picky, but will using one over the other cause a big difference? Again, not trying to be anal Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

John the original did call for non Non-Chlorinated water. I have made it using my everyday tap water (which is non chlorinated) and it works just fine. I am sure Stumpkiller specified that also, but I did not copy it that way. My system went down a while back and I had to put a lot of the stuff back in the hard way, by retyping. I probably left it out... thanks for pointing that out.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, about how thick are these patches? Are they just square? I just had those patches from cabelas that seem like they have some lite oil on them. I hear in winter patches can freeze to your barrel and can cause problems plus kicking the snot out of you. Do you think those that I got could do that? I am interested in trying that. How many patches will a yard make?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Spike

Cayugad, what does the Murphy's oil soap do when you add it to the bees wax and castor oil?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Cayugad, about how thick are these patches? Are they just square? I just had those patches from cabelas that seem like they have some lite oil on them. I hear in winter patches can freeze to your barrel and can cause problems plus kicking the snot out of you. Do you think those that I got could do that? I am interested in trying that. How many patches will a yard make?
I soak an entire strip of cloth off the yard, then remove as much of the liquid as I can and lay that strip out on a window screen. When it is dry, it still has the oil in it. And you can shoot it just like that if you like and it works great. Plus in the winter it does not seem to freeze in the barrel...

The murphy's oil soap helps the lube keep all the fowling in the barrel soft.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So the patches stay square right?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Nope.. lay the strip over the muzzle, set the ball on the strip, drive it under the muzzle and then cut the strip away. You now have a perfect centered patch.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend I was bored out of my mind and got a wild hair that I was gonna create some bullet lube, I got to reading online about what ingredients they might have used back in the day (1700-1800's). Seems some of the most popular materials were whale blubber, beeswax and many other organic materials. Anyway I got to trying different mixes and come up with one im gonna try this weekend. Since I didnt have access to any whale blubber I settled for pig fat I figure it would be similar in consistency to whale blubber.

I'm sure you all are familiar with melting down your materials with your trusty microwave so im not gonna go into detail. But i will list the recipe
the recipe is a three part mix with a 1-1-0.5 ratio.

1 part melted pig fat
1 part melted bees wax
0.5 part jim beam whiskey

mix it altogether thoroughly, soak your pillow ticking in it and hang the ticking so the excess will run out and after they cool down they are ready.