Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Mag3  vs.  APP >

Black Mag3 vs. APP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Mag3 vs. APP

Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black Mag3 vs. APP

with sabots.. and the substitute powders, as long as I did not get out the 375 grain & 405 grain sabots I like to shoot, the accuracy was excellent. Out of my Wolverine, it would have bordered exceptional because of the scope. With concials though, it was terrible. I was lucky to hold a four and five inch group at 50 yards with conicals and that is not acceptable even with open sights..
Old 03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

with sabots.. and the substitute powders, as long as I did not get out the 375 grain & 405 grain sabots I like to shoot, the accuracy was excellent. Out of my Wolverine, it would have bordered exceptional because of the scope. With concials though, it was terrible. I was lucky to hold a four and five inch group at 50 yards with conicals and that is not acceptable even with open sights..
What do you suppose the difference the PB's are making for txhunter58? He is getting 2" groups with them at 50 and similar MOA at 25 yards. Generally, on would expect the MOA to widen considerbly as range increases when a load just doesn't "fit". The Powerbelts themselves, even in 405 grain weights, seem to be grouping pretty well with them. I'm no sharp shooter but txhunter is obtaining groups better than Iam capableof obtaining with the same sighting system. I would consider him a better marksman than myself, no doubt.

I am puzzled by theimproved accuracy of the PB's over the other conicals he has tried. Puzzled, in that, I am clueless as to why they perform so much better. Any ideas as to what is at the root of it?

Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot a lot of rifles and the one thing I have learned is there is no way to judge what one rifle will like. I have four Renegades. One of them hates conicals of any sort. One of them shoots any conical or sabot I shove down it. I have yet to figure this out. The others will shoot about anything although they shoot roundball better then conicals.

Same with inline rifles I guess. Although most of them have a 1-28 twist, some like the light bullets and some like the heavy. All you can do is try different combinations until you find the one that rifle likes.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I've shot a lot of rifles and the one thing I have learned is there is no way to judge what one rifle will like. I have four Renegades. One of them hates conicals of any sort. One of them shoots any conical or sabot I shove down it. I have yet to figure this out. The others will shoot about anything although they shoot roundball better then conicals.

Same with inline rifles I guess. Although most of them have a 1-28 twist, some like the light bullets and some like the heavy. All you can do is try different combinations until you find the one that rifle likes.
It seems I am too inquisitive. My better half often makes fun of my insatiable desire to understand what makes this or that tick just the way it does. In the end, I guess it will always be a mystery, and what would life be without any mystery?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is something else to chew on. My brother and I both have T/C Omegas 50 cal. When I first tried 777 and powerbelts, I started with 100 and 110 grains and 348 powerbelts. I was getting 5 inch groups at 25 yards with that combination! However, I dropped to 90 grains of 777 and the bullets were again almosttouching. Now, my brother shoots 110 grains 777 with the same 348 powerbelts in his gun, and he gets great accruacy/groups (basically touching at 25 yards). Identical guns with much different tastes in powder.

Also, you have to remember, the good groups I was talking about were off a bench rest with sandbags front and rear. I doubt that I am any better of a shot.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

TXHUNTER58,
I have had the same trouble with BM3 and the No Excuses 460. Huge groups compared to 777 2F. With 777 I get around 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards using 90 grains. With BM3 I did good to get 2" groups at 25 yards. I feel it works better with lighter bullets as the 250gr Shockwaves shot very similar to the my 777 load with BM3.

As far as the PB's shooting better it could be the plastic cup is doing abetter job of sealing the bore than a conical. Maybe they are not obturating quick enough or something like that.