Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats the law

Old 03-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Whats the law

The fee from mail order companiesfor shipping black power and substiutes is so high that I wonder if
it is legal for one person to ship to another.

James M.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the law

Specialized paper form, specialized containerthat must be HAZMAT stickered too!

Then think real hardabout using Fed-Ex instead of that brown truck.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

My understanding is you can ship hazardous materials to another person but it is a true hassle. I will not say I know the exact requirements of the law, but when I was talking to a powder manufacturer about sending me a case of Goex, I asked them about me personally shipping powder to friends to help cut the costs. He told me the friends would be better off to find friends within driving distance or their immediate areaas there is a ton of paperwork, licenses, and special containers that must be obtained in order to ship black powder or substitutes. What it basically boils down to is, if you want the powder and can not find immediate friends to share the cost, be prepared to pay the hazmat fee.

The reason you find many business unwilling to carry black powder on their shelves for ourconsumptioncan be blamed on insurance restrictionsand federal regulations reference their storage and sales. I have a friend that owned a small gun shop. Unfortunately he was put out of business by chain stores. He carried different powders for years until the new laws and insurance regulations went into effect. He stopped because he explained, hewas then forced to "build a locked bunker" to certain specifications for storage, also all black powder had to be removed from the store shelf each night and locked in the bunker. The substitute powders were not under that same restriction. As he said, he refused to jump through all the hoops to sell the black powder. Also if you are suprise inspected by ATF and you do not meet the requirements of powder storage or are in any violation the fines would stagger you, and you are closed down until you meet all requirements, also the insurance companies refuse to cover you in the event of any accident without the special riders....
Old 03-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

my local gun shop also stopped handling it.he used to go to harrisburg and get powder and sell it. no charge for shipping.it was insurance and storage thing he said.most here when they take trip to say, harrisburg, they buy a big keg , i think its 25 pds in keg?then they pass it out to friends when they get back .my last can of 2f shows 7.95 on top.now, i see it at 18 dollars at gander mtn.