Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pedersoli DBL 12 First Impressions >

Pedersoli DBL 12 First Impressions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pedersoli DBL 12 First Impressions

Old 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Pedersoli DBL 12 First Impressions

Here is a pic of my new shotgun. I picked it up at Cabela's in Ft. Worth last night. I went out and did some shooting today and really enjoyed myself.
The fit and finish of the gun are very nice. No rough spots or blemishes anywhere. It appears to be a well made gun. The one out of the box problem I have with the gun is the wooden ramrod. While attractive, it does not appear very sturdy. I ordered a fiberglass replacement from Dixie Gunworks today.
The gun is a snap to clean, ( remember this is from a guy that doesn'town anyremovable breech guns). The nipples screw into top of the barrel, there is no bolster.
As far as shooting goes I will need to get used to this gun. I started the day with a load of 60gr APP 2F and 60gr #6 shot just to get a feel for the gun. I used X-full and full choke tubes today one in each barrel. With this light load the gun patterened well but low. Actually my patterns were low all day. I believe that is my fault. I was trying to shoot the shotgun like a rifle. Any help ya'll can offer would be welcome.
I next tried the max load for the gun. This load is considerably smaller than the guy at Cabela's told me over the phone. I was told 110 & 110 grs respectively for powder and shot. Not so! The max load for 2F black powder or equivilent is 89gr.( I shot 90gr) The max load for shot is 1 1/4 oz. or 90gr volume. When I shot this load,90gr APP 2f and 90gr #6 shot I was surprised by the lack of recoil. I thought at max load it would kick like a mule, turned out to be pretty mild.
The pattern was pretty tight but again low. I will need more range time before the April 1st opener but that won't be a problem. I should have plenty of time to straighten things out.
Oh, BTW, the gun shot its best patterns with a conventional wad column rather than a plastic shot cup. I was rather surprised by that.
Thats all for now I guess. Sorry about this post running so long. I am just really excited and wanted to share my experience.
Any help on the low pattern thing would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg.
AKA Txrookie

Old 03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pedersoli DBL 12 First Impressions

Here is another shot.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

That's a beautiful looking shotgun. Also it sounds like the pattern is good and will only get better the more you play with it... glad to hear the shotgun is working out like you expected.. Keep shooting.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:42 AM

Congrats on the new gun and you are right about the ram rod, on mine the end with the jag was not pinned and got loose fast - a was affraid it would come off in the bbl. You may find that the sharp edges of the choke tubes shave off the plastic of your new rod, if so get a bore guide. How are the tirggers on yours, I got mine about 8 years ago and at that time they were comming trough very stiff, both of mine needed some work..

Other than those two things, it's been a great gun. I even got it to shoot roundballs fairly well out to about 50 yards, round ball in the left bbl. and buckshot in the right with a full choke makes a lethal loading..

Doug
Old 03-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Let me know what load and choke combinations work best for you. Also, how was that trigger out of the box? Now that doug said that i remember reading that somewhere else also that out of the box one of them is a little stiff.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, the front trigger is rather stiff. I may take it to a local smith to ease things up a bit. I've only put 20 charges through it so I need to experiment more with wad columns, but so far the X-full is the tightest with the full a close second as expected. I don't have any real experience with a shotgun of any kind so I'm on a big learning curve here. All of my patterns are low but tight. I will make some adjustments when I go out wednesday after work.
I'm going to check the Pedersoli web site to try and find a parts breakdown. I may try the trigger thing myself if it doesn't look to complicated.
Hey, QT2K5, I got a great deal on the gun. The store still had a tag on the display model at last years price of $579. So I got a new turkey vest too.
No one around here stocks much in the way of BP shotgun supplies. I want to try some Ox-Yoke wads in my shot column. To date the best patterns were with fiber wads for over powder and cardboard for over shot. I only shot plastic shot cups 3 times. I bought a pack of the pink Cabela's shot cups and they just wouldn't load without trimming them down some. way too tight and that was with the choke tubes out. I am going to pick up some T/C shot cups at the Bass Pro shop in Dallas after work tomorrow and see if I have any better luck. I will let you know.
BTW, I did get a new in the box gun at the price mentioned earlier. The clerk then changed the price on the display to $649.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 PM

gatta love saving 70 bucks. keep me up to date and informed txrookie.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll do it.