Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dixie/Cabelas

Old 03-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dixie/Cabelas

I just got off the phone with a guy at Cabela's. He told me the max load of the 12ga is 110gr 2F. The 10ga is 120gr 2F. Shot recommended max is 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 ounces in each gun. He recommended I start with 100gr 2F and 1 1/2 ounces of #6 shot for a turkey load. I will start with a much smaller charge of powder to get the ball rolling at least until I get a feel for the gun and how it performs. As I stated earlier I will start off with 60gr 2F and work up from there. I also plan on getting into the habit of placing a patch in one barrel while I load the other so there is no confusion about what might or might not be loaded. I will remove the X-full chokes to load and will leave the improved and modified in when I am using them. Unless of course I learn that removing them is the thing to do.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:06 PM

thanks for the info txrookie. As far as safty while loading, and getting confused as to which barrel has what in it, i read an article that said you should just place the ram rod in the barrel you aren't loading. what i mean is, power the powder down the barrel and then tamp down the shot wad, then put the ramrod in the other barrel. I don't know if i explained it well, but i'm sure you understand what i mean. When do you plan to get the gun? I can't wait to hear about it.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:07 PM

oh yah, i also wanted to say it sounds like the 10 guage has little advantage over the 12, especially for an extra hundred bucks.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah, I have to agree that the 12 sounds like the better value. You made it very clear about placing the ramrod in the barrel you are not loading. Sounds like a sound practice. I plan on getting it as soon as my return gets here, hopefully in the next week. I live in a town called Gun Barrel City Tx. It is about 60 miles SE of Dallas and I work mostly in Dallas so The Cabela's in Ft. Worth is about 2 hours from home and 1 hour from the shop. As soon as I know the money is in the bank I'll go after workand pick it and some shooting supplies up. I can't stand the wait.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, I also noticed the gun comes with only 1 EACH of the choke tubes. That doesn't bother much about the improved and modified tubes but since this is going to be my main turkey gun I will have to get an additional X=full or full. I wonder how much more that is going to cost.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:47 AM

I was thinking the same about the chokes, an extra full and a full would be an alright combination for turkeys. my guess is $20-40 for the extra choke.

Also I was wondering ifit ispossible to use rifled slugs in muzzle loaders like you would shoot out of a regular smooth bore shotgun? If so where can you buy them?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I called Cabela's again today and found out rhe following. The gun comes with one each of the following tubes: X-full, modified, and improved. They sell and stock full, and modified tubes for about $18. The gun will shoot sabots but the guy had no idea which ones or where to get them. So more research will be required on the topic of sabots.
I think I will shoot PRBs rather than sabots but I will still try to find out what I can. The more info the better.
Now I have a question about shotguns in general to any of you that may be checking this thread. Afterall, QTomkins2005 and I can't keep going by ourselves forever. Anyway, the question I have is this. If I shoot a PRB or sabot in a smoothbore 12ga, what choke tube should I use? I'm thinking improved cylinder because it has the least amount of restriction. What do you think?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:07 PM

this question is actually in the firearms forum right now, last time i read it i think most people had said improved cylinder.