Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Safety with Spanish and American Barrels in general >

Safety with Spanish and American Barrels in general

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Safety with Spanish and American Barrels in general

Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Safety with Spanish and American Barrels in general

Since getting my chrono and new Sidekick, I discovered something I was previously unaware of. A new barrel can berough enough to affect velocities considerably. There is a major difference between 1435 fps (after some breaking in)and 1105 fps (on a new, clean, unused bore). That difference must translate to a higher peak pressure.

When I mentioned my findings, Pittsburghhunter commented that he always broke in his guns with ballets or the like. From a safety issue, I think it is a good thing too. Had I loaded 150 grains pellets, instead of the 65 grains loose, I suspect that the pressures on my initial firingswould have been pretty dog gone high, higher at least, than they would be now.

For whatever its worth, starting light, with cheap, affordable, conicals could prevent an accident even with an approved load.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Safety with Spanish and American Barrels in general

Pglasgow

Guess it all depends on the company... I normally do exactly the same thing but with my recent purchase of an Omega and the cleaning of it to get it ready for shooting, I noticed that the barrel was terribly smooth, it did not seem sharp at all. the cotton ball test down the barrel produced nothing. Like wise the new GM barrel that I recieved two weeks ago was smooth also. In both of these barrels I decided to not do the conical thing. In this case both barrels proved to be great when I shot them.

Other barrels have really seemed to be ruff and the conical treatment was in order. Think Triple Se7en is the person that started me on this technique.

good luck all...
Old 03-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

since Iam a conical and roundball shooter, most my new rifles get broke in with maxi ball and roundball. Like Sabotloader said, the Green Mountain Barrels I bought so far were smooth and ready to shoot. I did still do the J-B bore paste on them if for no other reason then to make sure it was nice and clean before I started. The new CVA Stalker coming has a 1-32 twist so I will be shooting conical out of it anyway.

Good point though. I never thought of it the way you put it.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:34 PM

I have a Beartooth Magnum in 45cal. the barrel is
very smooth. The most pronounced thing I noticed
was the depth of the lands & grooves. With the
cotton-ball test it passed. But I only shoot 100gr.
charges because I've heard the horror stories about
the barrel. I have a Knight 50cal American, barrel
is extremely rough lands & grooves are not as
pronounced as the Beartooth probably due to the
method used to machine the barrel. I have a new
Omega 50cal. I had to use the J&B bore paste
method to smooth out the rough spots. I understand
what you refer to about the pressure. My take is
you shouldn't buy a Yugo and expect it to drive
like a Rolls I agree with sabotloader & others
people have got to "READ & UNDERSTAND" the
owners manual. So they understand just exactly
the process of toughing off a powder charge. &
just how "DEADLY" that situation can quickly
become. Just my 2-cents........
Danny
Old 03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another safety post worth readin'!

http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=720025&an=0& page=0#720025
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

And that goes exactly to the root of the problem.... the nut operating the gun. If you read and choose not to follow the directions, is it the guns fault, Spanish barrel or not? I have a CVA Firebolt that I bought several years ago, becuase it looked good, felt good and was a give away at Wal-Mart. I for years fired 100/110 grains of T7-2f pushing a 300 grain sabot. It handled this load without a problem, and most know I shoot a lot.I have made other mistakes with it shooting some large .458 Hornady saboted bullets. Again the rifle has shown no ill effects of this abuse. I also did spend a lot of time taking care of the gun. But none-the-less if something had gone wrong it would not be the guns manufactures fault, it would have been my own block head mistakes...

Actually the only gun I have not heard of a blow-up or out has been a an Austin & Halleck - which does have a Spanish barrel. It seems everybody elsehas had a least one. Both of my A&H's have the same proofing mark from the same proofing house as do the CVA and the Traditions.

I would and will agree with whomever provided this quote " if you buy a Yugo don't expect a Cadillac" If you choose to purchase a Spanish made barrel follow the directions it will serve you for years- heck that isn't exactly true either - if you shoot a weapon made by anyone follow the the directions...

Back in the day when I reloaded ammo for myself and many other people, I did follow directions, because i was afraid of the results if I chose to boost the charge beyond the suggested weight - why would anyone assume that BP or it's substitutes would be any different - follow the plan - and if you do not - do not blame the gun.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

The only barrel I have seen blown up was by some guy shooting smokeless out of a side lock. I am sure other accident occure but I have not heard any reports of people being hurt in NH by m/l arms. I think there is more hype than actual hurt about our sport.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I think there is more hype than actual hurt about our sport.
I actually believe these incidents are happening more then we, the muzzleloading community, are aware of. I base this belief on a couple things. We are dealing with an explosive and not everyone who handles these items do so in a safe manner. Also there are people that simply do not take all the necessary steps such as reading a manual or what ever, and do unsafe acts. Not all of these incident may be serious, some very simple, but still something that should not have happened. What happens most times I believeis the person(s) involved with the incident contacts the store they purchased the rifle fromor the manufacturer and after that it is a mad rush to create damage control.

I've seen a lot of deals made by the legal community and believe me, when there is something that happens which might effect a company image, or even have implications of a law suit, these companies legal teams come down on the offended or injured party with amazing speed. And then,the promises and pay offs begin. In almost all cases there is a clause in the final settlement that nothing can be discussed or details disclosed.

So while we may be upset because we hear of an incident happening but for reasons can not learn the facts, there may be many more incidents out there that we never hear of at all.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

I disagree, the press for the most part hates shooting sports and if someone is hurt by a firearm of any type it makes news. A m/l to them is more dirty laundrey.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

10-4

+ there is a certain amount of people that will look for a big settlement from some companies by creating these accidents. Such as is being claimed by Savage and their followers against Toby Bridges.

Quick Reply: Safety with Spanish and American Barrels in general

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.