Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Is this normal? WoW!!!!! >

Is this normal? WoW!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is this normal? WoW!!!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this normal? WoW!!!!!

This is the first primer I took out of my Remington 54 cal. with the Cabalas 209 conversion kit. The primer is a CCI 209, charge was 100 gr. trip 7with a MMP red sabot holding a 45 cal .451 230gr. HP XTP.
I went looking for the sabot but found nothing till after I had shot about3 times (each primer looked the same).
I did find a sabot latter awful mess with just a couple pedals hooked together but no base.
Impact at the target was 4inches higher than with #11 caps I had the rifle sighted in with.
I reduced to 80 grains and changed sabots to T/C orange holding the same bullets, shot 3 more times with primers looking the same. POI was back near the bull too.

Should I reduce the charge even more?
First time I've ever used a 209 primer.

Al
Old 02-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is this normal? WoW!!!!!

I was shooting Winchester WML209 primers that did the same thing no matter what powder charge I used. The Remington Kleenbore Primers do not do that. I think it is just something to do with the primers themselves. Although the Black Diamond is far more prone to primer blow outs then the Knight Disc or even the CVA Staghorn for that matter.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

That doesn't look normal to me but the .209 rifles I own have a regular firing pin and the whole face of the primer is supported. Could be that the bolt is bouncing back some after the shot allowing the primer to blow out in the center.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

For a Remington with a Cabels that is really normal. Most of the blowback is contained the nipple and the small primer is pushed back out of the battery cup. Both of mine do this consistantly.

The time to start reducing charges is if the bolt is blown back into the cocked position. If that occurs with a normal charge the spring is getting weak if occurs with a magnum charge 110+ then you will have to reduce the charge or the weight of the bullet.

mike
Old 03-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the answers. I do think I am going to back off a good deal on the charge though and start over as the groups were horriable.
No crud ring found when I cleaned last evening. Or I just don't know what a crud ring looks like.
Mike I think I'll make one of those 20 ga. weather shrouds you sent me pictures of but make the vent hole bigger than the factory one. Some where in the 1/4" area and see if I can derect more of the blow back gasses to the right rather than up. Maybe I can do away with the duck tape on the bottom of the scope.

Al
Old 03-01-2006, 07:19 AM

You should see what my CVA hunterbolt does to the primer! Atleast I'll never have a misfire.