Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 The Last of the Pinnacle >

The Last of the Pinnacle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Last of the Pinnacle

Old 02-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default The Last of the Pinnacle

I was shooting my Stainless Steel Green Mountain Barrel with the 1-28 twist off my Renegade today. I decided to shoot some Pinnacle 3f. I picked a .430 240 grain XTP and a T/C mag express sabot to shoot. The target on the right shows what 12 rounds of XTP look like without swabbing at all, and shooting as fast as I could. At the top of the target shows the five patches it took to clean the rifle.

And since I had been told that my 1-28 twist Green Mountian would shoot roundball, I had to try. I loaded a .490 roundball with a moose milk patch. I was shooting 60 grains of Swiss 3f powder. The hit at the top was to see just where the rifle was shooting before I went after the 1" bulls eye. I forget now who told me to try the GMB with roundball, but I thank you.. you were absolutly right. I lost count of how many roundball I shot, and never swabbed the barrel.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Last of the Pinnacle

So - that's the last of the Pinnacle, but will you get more?
After seeing your cleaning patches, I'm really convinced I need to switch from Pyrodex to something else. It takes me 5 times that many patches to clean that stuff!

Good shooting, by the way! (We know it's not JUST that barrel!)

IM jaybe
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

In my next order to Powder Inc. I will pick up another couple of pounds of Pinnacle.I might even get a can of the Pinnacle 2f just to see how different it is from the 3f. I was also shooting some Swiss 2f as well as 3f. That Swiss 2f is sure a clean shooting powder.If it was not so expensive, it would be all I would shoot I think. Excellent power, clean burning, leaves a nice smoke cloud in the air. What morecould a person want. Swiss 3f is just a little too hot for me.

I got tired of shooting paper so I went out and set some spray paint cans up and was trying to cut the spray button off of it. I was shooting 60 grains of Swiss 2f and patched roundball as well. Both of the Swiss powders shot real well. Out of three cans I did cut one button off, but on the other two shot just a little bit low and nicked the can as well. That's a lot more interesting then shooting paper sometimes.

Besides, it was a beautiful day, it was over cast, but 34 degrees and not snowing.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad
So now that you have tried Pinnacle what do you think of it? Was that FF or FFF?

Old 02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

My Pinnacle was 3f. This was the end of the fourth pound of it. I really like Pinnacle Powder. It has excellent power, and good accuracy. The best thing about it is the clean up and the fact I shot all afternoon on it and never had to swab the barrel.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have tried APP give me a bit of a comparison. I have had good results with APP and have some Pinnacle but have not started testing it yet.I have found the APP FF to be both effective and forgiving.
Lee
Old 02-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot American Pioneer Powder 3f only two times now. The old powder which I shot a lot of was called Clean Shot and it great. I was kind of sorry to see my supply of it run out. This new APP seems every bit as nice to shoot and accurate as the Pinnacle. Actually in the Black Diamond XR the other day the APP did a great job. I was shooting 110 grains of the loose 3f APP and the accuracy with Shockwaves was very good.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, would you please put those targets a little farther out? You're makin' me feel bad.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Man I wish I had been able to buy some 3F, the Pinicle I bought sucked. It looked like ovalteen.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the heads up on the Pinnacle 2f. I was thinking of getting a pound or two of it to try on the next time out. Maybe I will just stick with the 3f.

Quick Reply: The Last of the Pinnacle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.