Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Green Mt. Barrel >

New Green Mt. Barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Green Mt. Barrel

Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Green Mt. Barrel

roundball

Great questions RB!

It really looks good and seems to fit well everything is tight...

Other than laying a 15/16" barrel in a 1" barrel bed, has you actually conducted a range session ofshooting itthat way?
With this particular gun I have not, but I have made this same conversion before into a Hawkin 54 cal stock. On the particular conversion I did bed underthe breech plug and about 3" of bedding in front of the wedge to make sure it did not move. I anticipate I might do the same here at a later date - I really do not think I have to, it is so solid (there is no movement)I am sure it will be fine, but I like to tinker so I probably will.

What eliminatesbarrel movement if it's not snug in the barrel bed?
The lug on the breech plug is tight in the tang ther is no left and right movement there. The wedge is in the under lug snugly - it has to be driven in the last 1/2" and I inletted the under rib into the stock. The Hawken under rib was about 1/4" longer than the previous Renegade barrel. This inletting does not allow left/rigth movement either. If I have a problem a bit of fiberglass in the stock would take care of it. Really do not Think it will be neccessary.

Does the wedge pin fit as it's supposed to with a lower wedge pin tenon?
The way it is inletted (the barrel) it does. With the ram rod removed I can get no movement up and down from the barrel and no movement left and right.

Is the hammer alignment for a 1" barrel still aligned OK for a 15/16"?
It is actually a little bit better than the previous Renegade alignment. I think I could even install a taller non-TC nipple and it would still have good alignment.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

lonewolf5347,
I appreciate the offer and I might go for it. I want to wait and see if I win the .54 barrel on ebay 1st.
I'll send you a PM, if I decide to go with the S.S. barrel.
You make the S.S. barrel decisionmore tempting. Are you related to Cayugad or sabotloader
Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

lonewolf5347

can a stainless barrel take to rust brown or will it rust with the LMF chemical?
I'm not sure, but my gut feeling is no. The stainless is a real low luster it almost reminds me of a parkerized finish. I originally thought I would end up spray painting it black - but I really kind of like the looks of it. Fiber optic sight are certainly a blessing for me and my old eyes. These Williams that come on it are not click adjustable, which I would prefer, but they are so easy to get a clear sight picture with I really like them...

Wish you had thought of the $50 dollar deal before i bought this barrel... I would have gone in on that...

Old 02-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

you can never have enough guns.. today I looked at a NEF Huntsman .50 caliber. It has a 12 gauge combo package to it. The I realized the shotgun was modern. Good thing it was not black powder orI would have hauled that home with me...
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I looked at a NEF a couple of weeks ago in Spokane. My problem is I really do not like the looks of the NEF, Encore, or the Optima, they all look the same to me. Just do not like the stock design... It reminds me of the Buckawaka or what ever that name was, and I can not even rember who makes that one. I know looks should not be the top characterstic of choosing the a gun - but I can not get use to it.

Sometimes it is a real pain to be selective...