Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Size

Old 01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bore Size

Well, I finally got hold of a caliper and found out that the bore on my New Frontier Beartooth is .496 on the lands and .506 in the grooves. This explains why only PowerBelts (.501 on the skirt) load well. The .44 cal. 300gr XTP's in a hornady green sabot for example, measure closer to .510.
The .475 Hawk bullet in the thin blue Harvester sabot measure .504 - slightly smaller than my bore, but still quite atight fit in the rifling.

How does this .496/.506 bore compare with other rifles out there?

BTW - if you're measuring projectiles and find something that looks like it will work well for me, please let me know.

IM jaybe

Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bore Size

jaybe

That sounds just about right and common
This is from MMP:

The big difference between Black HPH12 and HPH24 is HPH24 is .002" smaller
in loaded diameter. Loaded diameter is a sabot with a bullet inserted.
With a .452 diameter bullet the HPH12 is .507-.508" diameter, the HPH24 is .505"-.506" diameter
The crush rib is .503 -.505, have you tried them yet?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

I'm waiting on some crush ribs now.

Has anyone else measured their bore to know what the diameter actually is? I'm just sure that mine is smaller than most, since I can't stuff many of the saboted bullets down that many can.

Thanks, jaybe.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybe

Really hope the "crush ribs" work for you... even if they do not there may be another .451/.452 product on the market in the near future that might really solve the problem...

I did try try to mic my barrels this evening when I got home from school. The only conicals I have on hand is some 50 cal 320 REAL's that outahunting sent me several months back. I mic'ed them the bottom ring was .459 and the top was .504. I set one in my Remington and thumb pushed it down the barrel - it slid all the way to the bottom, so I thought ok I will try the tighter A&H - it did require the ram rod to get it started and down into the barrel it was slighly snug but really like loading a PB pulled it out and tried the see the land marks in the lead - could not really tell that it had been loaded - so all I can tell you is my barrel land to land is slightly larger than .504 -.506 is probably right in the ball park...

not much help
mike
Old 02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jaybe, try checking yours again; maybe with a parifin slug or something like that. The rifling sounds awful deep for a sabot gun. What twist is it, a round ball gun usually has deeper rifling. Lee
Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

OK - I'll try checking it again. Will pushing a conical into the rifling do the trick? Then measure the marks on that? What I have done so far is just measure the rifling at the muzzle.
It is a 1-28" twist according to the book that came with it. I didn't think .005 rifling was that deep. It seems much shallower than the Hawken I used to have. I remember the rifling in that seemed much deeper and clearly "cut" as I looked into the muzzle. This rifling looks shallower and more rounded than that in the Hawken.
BTW - when I was shooting yesterday, I tried some 385 gr Great Plains conicals. I could set them just barely into the muzzle with my thumb, then it required a few good smacks of my palm on the short starter to get them into the rifling. Once in, they slid the rest of the way down very easily.
As I have mentioned before,Powerbelts load with thumb pressure (shot a couple again yesterday), and slide down easily. From what I've seen, the grooves in my barrel are about what the lands on most others are.

IM jaybe