Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What's a good starting load??? >

What's a good starting load???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What's a good starting load???

Old 01-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's a good starting load???

well i finally decided to get a muzzleloader. it's a tompson center renegade in 54 cal. i haven't gotten yet but i'll be getting it next week probably. what would be a good load to start out with? i'll probably shoot pyrodex or 777. to start out with i'll probably start with patched balls but i'ld like to change to maxi-balls possibly. any help would be very helpful.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What's a good starting load???

Since it is a .54 caliber Renegade with the 1-48 twist try starting it out at 80 grains of 2f grade powder with a .530 diameter patched roundball. I like a .015-.018 thick patch. Your best accuracy will probably come in at 90 grains, but I would still start at 80 grains, shoot about five shots and then move up from there.

With Maxiball you will find 80 grains seems to be the magic number. At least in my four Renegades that seems to be where they hit. Also you might want to look at some 310 grain Buffalo Ball-ets. They also shoot very well out of the Renegades.

Don't over look 300 grain R.E.A.L. conicals as well. My group of .54 caliber friends that I hunt with have been killing deer now for many years with that conical. They shoot 80 grains of powder with a wonder wad under the conical.

It would not hurt to get a bottle of wonder wads as they do help if the patch starts getting burned when shooting Triple Se7en. With a wonder wad the accuracy will still be excellent and you swear you could use the patch again (which I have done to prove a point).

That is a great rifle you have there. One of my very favorite. With some Green Mountain Drop in Barrels that rifle can be made to do anything. I have been shooting some fast twist 1-28 .50 caliber barrel out of my Renegade and the accuracy is exceptional. I also have a .58 caliber (and .62 caliber) roundball barrel for the rifle that will shoot circles around most open sight rifles out there.

Keep us posted on how the rifle shoots for you.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mine like a.535 ball with a ticking patch 22thou. thick greased up with borebutter and 110 gr. of RS [the 1-48]
The 1-66 takes the same with 120 gr, RS.
Even my system one 54 cal barrel with a 300gr .500 widner bullet and 140 gr of RS or APP won't put them down in their tracks like my 54 Hawken will.
I have been meaning to try APP in them have not got the chance yet.
Lee
Old 01-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks ya'll for your input.

cayugad i don't know what alot of people would do on here without you here. i'm really excited about getting the gun though. all it needs is a new nipple. there are some cosmetic dings on the stock but i know how to get rid of those. i'll be getting it for $80. if all goes well i'll hopefully be able to shoot it in a little over a week. i'll have to buy all of the little stuff too. i'm kinda hoping that i can get all of the patches, balls, and such in like a package deal since i'll be buying so much at one time.

p.s. what type of accuracy do you think i can get with those loads out to what range.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

thanks ya'll for your input.

cayugad i don't know what alot of people would do on here without you here. i'm really excited about getting the gun though. all it needs is a new nipple. there are some cosmetic dings on the stock but i know how to get rid of those. i'll be getting it for $80. if all goes well i'll hopefully be able to shoot it in a little over a week. i'll have to buy all of the little stuff too. i'm kinda hoping that i can get all of the patches, balls, and such in like a package deal since i'll be buying so much at one time.

p.s. what type of accuracy do you think i can get with those loads out to what range.
http://www.blackjackhill.com/ Black Jack Hill carries, maxiball, roundballs, and R.E.A.L. conicals. He also carries Bore Butter. If you want some cheap and EXCELLENT QUALITY patches, go to Wal Mart and get a yard of 100% cotton blue or red stripe Pillow Tick. Wash it in your machine and line dry it. It will tear into nice strips and you can then set the ball under the muzzle and cut the remainder of the patch off the muzzle. You then have a perfect centered patch.

With practice and finding the right load you can expect a 4" or better group with those projectiles off a bench rest at 100 yards. A lot will depend on how good of shooting basics you already have. With open sights I seldom ever shoot past 100 yards although I have friends that do some long distance field shooting for fun. They hit targets out to 150 yards with open sights.

I put 10 out of 10 roundball into the bottom of a #3 pound coffee can with my new Renegade (new to me.. I always get the .54 caliber older model with the double set triggers) at 100 yards this summer off my bench rest. I was real pleased with that.

Get a Thompson Center Stainless Steel Hot Shot nipple. Put that in the riflel and get CCI Magnum #11 caps or RWS Dynamite Noble 1075 caps and you should not have any problems with ignition. Also make sure you really clean the devil out of that rifle. No telling what might be down the barrel...

And for $80.00 you better watch out for the police.. you stole that rifle. Good Luck with your rifle and keep us posted.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks i'll let ya'll know when i get it and everything. i've been wanting to get a muzzleloader for a long time so i'm kind of excited about it.