Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .25 ACP breech plugs >

.25 ACP breech plugs

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.25 ACP breech plugs

Old 01-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .25 ACP breech plugs

If anyone has used one, I have acouple of questions. Is the Bridge plug.25 boreall the way through the plug? Is the shell casing difficult to remove after firing?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .25 ACP breech plugs

Pglasgow

I hate to send you to another place, but an answer wasn't coming very fast and I do not have the right answers- this site might help.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=44683

I do shoot an A&H that usesa 32 H&R Mag shell for ignition. You insert the shell into the breech plug and all works well. The Austin & Halleck's have a hook built into the firing pin so when you open the bolt and pull back 98% of the time it extracts the shell from the breech plug for you. On the occasions that it doesn't it is very easy to remove.

Hope this helps some...

Do you want a picture of the breech plug?

Old 01-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

If my Encore ever screws up I will try one...... I havn't found any defect on mine. My primer also ejects real well.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have the .25ACP conversion for my Omega. The breechplug is only drilled deep enough for the .25 case to fit and still be in the correct position for the firing pin to hit the rifle primer in the .25 case. It is not drilled all the way through, there is still the smaller hole into the base of the powder charge just like with the standard breechplug. It is a great conversion for me as the .25 allows a large selection of primers and you can go from small pistol to small pistol magnum to standard small rifle to magnum small rifle in all the various manufacturers. The second benefit is that the .25 case is much easier to manipulate when loading and unloading as it is easier to grasp and less likely to get dropped. I have not had any problem with cases sticking in the conversion I bought. I had a machinist friend make a similar one for another rifle that was not one they made a conversion for and the cases stick in that one so the guys in Canada apparently know what they are doing. Great conversion and I really like it.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

If anyone has used one, I have acouple of questions. Is the Bridge plug.25 boreall the way through the plug? Is the shell casing difficult to remove after firing?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Phil,

I will be pickin up my encore this evening. I too was lookin into the .25 ACP but here are some not so good reviews.

Go toforums on the below link, of coarse you have to register.In the Inline muzzleloading boardis a topic called "Grouse was right". It kind of curved my opinion of the ACP's

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/

I haven't heard of anyone haveing problems shooting with the 209 once they find their load. So i will probably stick with the "if it aint broke then don't fix it" mentality.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

racks-n-beards& everyone else,

Just a pet peeve - One of the reason's mentioned for making the switch was handling - the 25 shell is easier to handle than the 209 - why are we even handling a 209?

If the reasoning is a more reliable ignition I could kind of understand that also , but the variety of heat ranged 209's available doesn't in my mind make that a reasonable answer.

If the reasoning is a cleaner ignition area and less blowback - I CAN understand that - that is why I tried the 32 switch in the Austin & Halleck.

If you make the switch for better accuracy that certainly is a valid reason.

If you make the switch because it is more convienent that again is certainly a valid reason.

Sorry for the soap box - but the handling reason bugs me, because in my mind there is no reason to handle primers or caps.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader
If the reasoning is a cleaner ignition area and less blowback - I CAN understand that - that is why I tried the 32 switch in the Austin & Halleck.
That's why I use it. Haven't shot my Omega in a long time though. I need to get it out and make some smoke with it.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader: How do the primers get into position on your rifle?? I have to handle them to get them into position. I also appreciate the ability to quickly re-load in case a big animal like an elk does not go down immediately. I am 68 and hunt alone and do not want the animal to wander off into a big canyon. I like to drop it where I can get to it with my Samurai or at least within a couple of hundred yards. I have made perfect killing shots on big elk with no noticable effect for some time. The ones I have had occasion to find seem to be pretty tough and lack the ability to know they are dead. I didn't see any noticable improvement in accuracy but the lack of crud ring with lower primers is there.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

MLKeith

Respectfully, I appreciate what you are telling me, a lot of your comments really apply here also. I am 62 with a really bum knee, over weight and a bad back. I hunt alone all the time also, in fact most of the time I really enjoy hunting alone - no schedules. But, I do not handle my 209's. They are in a capper in my pocket with one stored in the ready position - I take it out of my shirt/vest pocket insert it in the breech plug and remove the capper, close the bolt and evertything is in the go mode. The only time I handle the 209 is at home when I load the capper. Ireally feel that I canload a 209 much faster than I can a shell with my fingers into a breech plug - I do shoot targets with my 32 H&R breech plug installed, because it is cleaner,but I remove it for hunting season because the 209's are quicker for me.

I know what you mean about elk - they are incredibly tough and they can take a lot of abuse. Moose are far easier to get down out here than elk. A stinky old bull will never admit defeat and just lie down like he should. Unless you can break the spine or shoot 2 shoulders out + the vitals they will pump the adrennalin (sp)and move.

I didn't see any noticable improvement in accuracy but the lack of crud ring with lower primers is there.
This is another point that I feel is debateable - with all the different temperatures that 209's burn at it is pretty easy to find a cool one if that is what you need. Iam using a Remington 209-4 primer. That is the coolest 209 that I know of, but I am also shootig T7-2f loose powder, if I were using pellets I would probably go a little warmer.

Underclocked famous "Crud Ring" - so far I have really been fortunate - niether of the Remingtons or the A&H seem to be troubled by the "Crud Ring". I attribute part of that to my barrel care, but that is a whole differentstory completely.

Trying understand the 'handling" portion of the reasoning - I would say there is no reason to handle any primer or cap - you do have to handle a shell. I shoot #11's during ML season here in Idaho, we are not allowed to use 209's or 25's or even my 32's, but again I do not handle the cap in the field.

Maybe my understanding of 'handling" is wrong also - I am thinking when you say "handling" that you mean you put the 209 between your fingers, which would really be tough with gloves on, and try to insert it in the breech plug. I am wrong?

Thanks for the come back, help me understand where I am wrong

Old 01-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

racks-n-beards& everyone else,

Just a pet peeve - One of the reason's mentioned for making the switch was handling - the 25 shell is easier to handle than the 209 - why are we even handling a 209?

If the reasoning is a more reliable ignition I could kind of understand that also , but the variety of heat ranged 209's available doesn't in my mind make that a reasonable answer.

If you make the switch for better accuracy that certainly is a valid reason.

If you make the switch because it is more convienent that again is certainly a valid reason.

Sorry for the soap box - but the handling reason bugs me, because in my mind there is no reason to handle primers or caps.

The link I postedhad afew guys that have ACP and had issues withtheir loads notigniting.

I too can understand all the reasons you mentioned, and all of those were why I was intially interested.

However,after reading how some have had problems with ignition, that is not a feature I want to take a $60 plus chance on.The guys posting those problems did not seem to be the type to neglect in their shooting.
Justwanted to letPhill know there is some bad pressonthis breach.

If he doesn't already have one.

Quick Reply: .25 ACP breech plugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.