Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Kodiak Mag. ?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Kodiak Mag. ?

This year iwas thinking about anew 50 cal. kodiak magnum (cva) ....i know absolutely nothing about muzzle loaders. Is this a good gun, do i shoot power belts or sabots, whats the best grain bullet to shoot, is there their anyhting i need to know about this gun before i buy it? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Kodiak Mag. ?

The first thing I would is check your hunting regulations and see what are legal weapons for your state and what kind of bullets you can use. I have no experience with the Kodiak though.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

It is almost impossible to say what projectilethe rifle will like to shoot best. What shoots good in one rifle might not shoot good in another identical style rifle. Generally speaking, CVA/BPI rifles shoot powerbelts good. You have to discover which weight and style of powerbelt it likes. Also you have to put up with the terrible price of the powerbelts.

Then again, the rifle might shoot XTP's or Shockwaves or who knows what. As for how good is the Kodiak, I don't own one. At one time I was going to buy one, they were selling them for $99.00 and I figured for that price I would own one. Trouble was they were sold out before I could get to one. I am not upset by that fact.

Some of the posters have found outstanding deals on T/C Omega Z5's at local Wal Marts. I would suggest you go that route if you want a break open type rifle. The Omega is a much better deal and rifle, IMO. Many of the Kodiak owners on the other hand like their rifles...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Typical Buck

You may find that there is some question as to the proof loads in the spanish (CVA and Traditions) rifles that after you buy it you may start wondering if the rifle is safe to shoot. I have a Pursuit that I am only shooting light loads as it is made in Spain. Since you are looking at a "magnum" I assume that you intend to shoot heavier loads and I agree with Cayugad that the Omega is much better. I have an Omega and love it; barrel is made in America and proofed to loads well above what the recommendations from Thompson Center are. Many of the CVA owners love their guns but I only mention this as I found out after I bought the Pursuit that the barrel might be in question as to long term safety.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:23 AM

I have been shooting my CVA Kodiak mag for the past 1 1/2 years and like it. As far as bullet and powder combinations, you need to check your states regulations. Here in Colorado we can only use loose powder and conical bullets. Here is my current load.

85 grains of Pyrodex P (3F) max load for my rifle.
370 grain T/C Maxiball
Remington Kleenbore 209 primer

Make sure you read the owners manual VERY well. You cannot shoot more than 400 grain bullet in a conical and I belive no more than 300 grain bullet in a sabot. No more than 100 grains of 2F powder loose (150 if you use pellets). I switched to 3F powder, but 85 grains is max.

Overall I like the rifle. It's easy to clean and shoots well. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably spend just a couple of extra bucks and purchase the T/C Omega .50. I think that would be money better spent. Just my .02. Good luck and enjoy whatever your choice may be.