Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting open sights??? >

Shooting open sights???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting open sights???

Old 01-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Shooting open sights???

How far will you shoot with open sights?

I know to practice shooting longer distances to see how far you can shoot, but how far would ya'll shoot with open shots.

With the way my eyes have been lately, 100 yds is probably as far as I can shoot.

Chad
Old 01-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting open sights???

I would like to limit my shooting to 100 yards. If the lighting and conditions were right, with the peep sight on my .58 caliber roundball rifle I might push that a little more, but EVERYTHING would have to be perfect. I normally practice only out to 100 yards. Besides that, where I hunt most my shots are 50 yards and under...
Old 01-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

DukhuntChad

With open sites @ a white tail and all the conditions in my favor and the animal worth taking that type ofshot - 150 yards, at an elk and the above conditions met 175 yards.

I am using fiber optic sites and I shoot a lot so I am really confident that if all things were right,the biggest thing I worry about in that distance is x-winds.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:35 PM

When I was a young man I would of taken a shot
out to around 100yds. But now my 59 year old eyes,
have limited me to around 50yds. But I do hunt
heavy cover oak woods & fence rows. I have passed
up some really nice bucks because I just don't want
to wound a deer because my eyesight will not let me
take him cleanly. Just my opnion.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

DukhuntChad asked?

How far will you shoot with open sights?

1. No further than my zero.

2 No further than 6" Diameter pattern for deer.

3.No further than 8" Diameter pattern for elk.

With buckhorns i have always felt uncomfortable over 75, though many are very accurate past that distance.

With an aperature front sight, I can hit within the 6 in pattern to 120. I can reach to 150 for the 8" (only by adjusting my zero, though). This of course possible when I am using a load which produces consistent velocities. The aperature is wonderful for my eyes, gives me much more confidence, and dramatically improves my accuracy.

With the way my eyes have been lately, 100 yds is probably as far as I can shoot.

If you can shoot within a 6 in pattern with open sights at this distance, then i would hate to be a whitetail at 101 yards.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

oops, I meant rear sight
Old 01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader: What sighting system are you using? I have a Williams rear peep and a front fiberoptic bead, which is great, but I still don't feel comfortable past about 100-120 yards.

I have been thinking about using a front crosshair (KNS hooded sight) but they are not fiberoptic and are hard to see in dim light. I love the visability that the front fiberoptic give me.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

I have a Williams rear peep and a front fiberoptic bead
Where is your peep sight out on the barrel or on the rear of the reciever?
I really feel with a peep that site location is really important, for me the peep at the rear it offers a better site picture.

I have a v fiber optic as the rear site and but with a rampWilliams fiber front site with a open hood (so light can get into the fiber bead)on that. I installed these on a bare GM barrel that I purchased and put into a TC Hawkin stock. The front ramp with hood forms a circle around the target area or animal and the bead is in the center of that circle. I am a scope shooter so this site picture really appeals to me. Now this was a 1000 years aga, but when I was shooting 22's in competion I was also using a rear peep and a hooded front site with an inserted apeture and I really liked that also. So what I have installed really is comfortable for me.

+ plus I try to most every chance I get to shoot 150. I normally shoot 75 yards (with open sites)and follow that up with a few shots out to 150. At 150 my target is red paper plate for my wifes picnic goods or a breakable target of my choice usually a large rock in the rock pit. I try to pick a rock that is about the size of a decent whitetail. I will shoot that rock in almost any shooting conditions, but for a real animal things have really got to be right and the animal really needs to be a quality one. + it would have to be an open shot, a shot that I could see the results after the smoke cleared, I think you know what I mean - I do not want to have to guess.

The Williams I installed were not designed for an octagon barrel, they were ment to go on a round barrel but I used fiberglass to flatten the bottom and then milled the bottom flat and perpendicular.

I hope you can visually imagine what I am talking about for a site picture.

Sproulman has been really talking up this new v-peep that RMC is marketing - I think I understand his description and if I were in the market for a new site system I would really need to look at them.

Do not know if any of this helps, give a shout if I can help with better details.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you guys using a peep or aperature use it as a range finder? If so, could you explain your technique?

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader said:

have a v fiber optic as the rear site and but with a rampWilliams fiber front site with a open hood (so light can get into the fiber bead)on that. I installed these on a bare GM barrel that I purchased and put into a TC Hawkin stock. The front ramp with hood forms a circle around the target area or animal and the bead is in the center of that circle. I am a scope shooter so this site picture really appeals to me.

I took an insert for the globe sight and adapted my rear sight with it. Both for my hawkin and my NEF. They are pedersoli inserts for their front sight meant to be used in combinationwith a tang mountedaperture rear sight. But iuse the cross hair with a circle in the middle as the rear sight. The circle in the middle of the cross hairs acts as an aperture that I can center the bead of the front sight in. Because the circle in the middle of the cross-hairs is above the sighting location in the buckhorns, my zero in the lowest settinghappens to be farther than if I sighted with buckhorns in the same setting (on the ramp). So the potential for range isextended by this arrangment and it works well with bigger slower moving projectiles.

Sighting is as simple as putting the crosshairs on the target, then centering the bead of the frontsight in the circlein the middle of the cross hairs. I really like this arrangment. Now my brother doesn't like it but he is far sighted and presbiopic. Again I love it.

Happy hunting, Phil

Quick Reply: Shooting open sights???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.