Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .44 Cal BP revolver >

.44 Cal BP revolver

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.44 Cal BP revolver

Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Default .44 Cal BP revolver

Greetings, This is my first post but will not be the last!

I was given a BP 44 cal revolver for Chirstmas this year, I have the powder, caps and everything I need to shoot. One problem, I am a little unsure of the pyrodex load for a 44. I have read to use between 22 and 29 grains for a load. Any ideas, thoughts? thanks ahead time!

Old 01-13-2006, 07:01 PM

Default RE: .44 Cal BP revolver

Also is a wad required? The cabelas video and readings that I have done have said that no wad is required
Old 01-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know anything about bp revolvers. We are mostly muzzleloaders here and I haven't seen much in the way of cowboy action posted. You may also want to leave a post at the TheFiringLine.com which is _mostly_ cowboy action posts in their black powder forum.

Happy shooting, Phil
Old 01-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: usmcColorado

Greetings, This is my first post but will not be the last!

I was given a BP 44 cal revolver for Chirstmas this year, I have the powder, caps and everything I need to shoot. One problem, I am a little unsure of the pyrodex load for a 44. I have read to use between 22 and 29 grains for a load. Any ideas, thoughts? thanks ahead time!

Might this be a Cabela's model made by F.L.Lippita. I have a 1858 New Army .44 caliber black powder revolver. I shoot 25 grains of Pyrodex P (pistol powder) or Goex 3f. After you clean the cylinder real good, you dump the powder then place a .44 caliber felt wad in the cylinder. Place the ball in the cylinder and with the loading lever seat the .451 ball all the way under the crown of the cylinder. I also use some Crisco or bullet lube and coat the top of the cylinder over to make sure there is no chain fire.

A #10 cap goes on the back of the revolver. Between loadings, pull they cylinder and be sure and use a alcohol patch and wipe the inside of the revolver frame out and the cylinder locking pin. Fowling will build there and make it almost impossible to pull the pin back after about the third loading. If you wipe them out and wipe the face of the cylinder itself off, it makes the next loading much easier.

The Army model has the top strap. The Navy model does not have the top strap. If you have the Navy model be kind and do not over charge the revolver or you can stretch the frame. Even the Army model, do not over charge that but they are a little more forgiving.

You will find with 25 grains of powder they are very accurate and will be a lot of fun to shoot. They can be a little bit of a pain to clean but it is something that has to be done.

Good luck with your revolver and WELCOME TO THE FORUM. GLAD TO HAVE YOU AND LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU ABOUT YOUR REVOLVER.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

First 20 to 30 gr is the commen load. If you use a light load the a wad makes a nice filler.
You need: to prevent chain fires[all chambers going off at the same time]
the normal way of doing this is either to use a wad under the ball or grease over the top.
Accuracy:some like different powder charges some have a bit larger or smaller powder capacity.Using wads or filler such as corn meal over the top of the powder and under the ball seat the ball[or bullet] just below level with the top of the cylinder.
Check that you have the right size caps some take #10.
Hope this helps Lee