Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Tracker 209..primer sprg. tweaked >

Traditions Tracker 209..primer sprg. tweaked

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Tracker 209..primer sprg. tweaked

Old 01-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Traditions Tracker 209..primer sprg. tweaked

I have a Tracker 209, a cheap entry level inline black powder gun for those who don't already know that. Anyway, I'm cleaning this thing after a range trip to sight in a new scope and I end up tweaking the primer retaining spring on the breech plug. This is the 2nd time this has happened in a real short period of time. I called Traditions the first time and they sent me a new spring in less than 2 weeks, makes me happy. Now that it has happened again I just got off the phone with one of their reps. and he tells me that they don't have anymore in stock, but they are expecting some next month. What kind of crap is that?

Lesson learned is not to buy a cheap muzzleloader, but even so the design for the primer retention should be better than what they have on the Tracker 209. So now I have a ML that I can shoot at the range still, but if the barrel is inclined just a bit the 209 primer will fall out. What a piece of junk.....[:@]. The rep. seemed not to really give a rats ass either, he didn't even offer to take my info and send one ASAP. I'm not a happy hunter with Traditions right now.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions Tracker 209..primer sprg. tweaked

Sounds like the 209 nipple on my Black Diamond XR. They have a tension spring which holds the primer in place. Finally after about 500 rounds through the thing, I loaded a WINCHESTER WML209 PRIMER fired the gun and blew the spring apart. I think these primers made by Winchester were a little hotter then the ones it was used to. Plus it could have been the fact of old age. I had to end up buying a new nipple. I never contacted Thompson Center about it. While I was waiting, I took some scotch tape and put that in there. The 209 primer blew the tape back out when you fired.. Just a real pain is all, but when you want to fire a gun you want to fire a gun. Speaking of that.. I think I will go to the range now and shoot.

Good luck with your rifle, and I hope your back out shooting soon....
Old 01-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Traditions Tracker 209..primer sprg. tweaked

MarinePride

It is in the mail