Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some test results

Old 01-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Some test results

Well, I've tried several loads and I'm getting good results with the Triple 7. I didn't do this in as methodical a way as I could or should have perhaps but I'm no rocket scientist.
I really don't like Pyrodex due to the mess. I've been shooting it for over a year now with good results but I'm getting tired of the clean up.
My gun doesn't like APP or so it seems. I have gotten very mixed results so far.
With Triple 7 in 3F and shooting 80gr. I'm getting good groups with the Hogden Great Plains bullet in 385gr. 2" at 100yd. By far the most consistent groups. After reading Taquamenon's response to my "Test time" post I will drop down to 70gr. and see what my groups look like. Besides that 80gr. load has more kick than I am used to.
I may or may not continue my quest once I find a load I'm satisfied with. This is to be a hunting load for deer and hogs. I got tired of hitting hogs and not finding them and desire more knock down power than I was getting out of my old load. 80gr. Pyrodex select 245gr PB HP.
I'm having fun with this load work up but its expensive and time consuming. My wife thought she would have me back after hunting season. Now I think she may be ready to join me. Today she told me she wants a 30-30 for hogs.
Anyhow I'll let ya'll know how the rest works out.
BTW, I have found I don't much care for sabots. Hard to load the things. So I think to date my bullet choice may be made. I really like the Great Plains HP 385gr. I'll continue to try it with different loads of powder, APP or Triple 7. Maybe I'll try T7 in 2F, I'll decide tomorrow at the range after trying T7 3F at 70gr. See ya manana!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Some test results

txrookie

If you do not mind can ask you which sabot or sabot/bullet combination you are using? Which rifle? I should have paid better attention. Hard to load is the most common complaint in the world why people do not like sabots. If you are shooting a 50 I can tell you there are options to getting the sabots to load with a moderate amount of pressure. I, which doesn't mean much to you, load all of my sabots with thumb pressure and the ram rod - no short starter involved.

Anyway if you would like to share this information, I might be able to make a couple of suggestion. Another option is to call Del Ramsey @ MMP sabots and he can provide you with the information you would need. He and his company will work with you.

I got tired of hitting hogs and not finding them and desire more knock down power than I was getting out of my old load. 80gr. Pyrodex select 245gr PB HP.
I am not a hog hunter we do not have such an animal but I have told they are really tough critters. I am not surprised that a 245 PB is less than optimum. Again I am not qualified here, but I think I would look at the 460 NE that Cayugad talks about if you are not happy with sabots. The 460 is a slip fit and for its weight it really looks good on paper. I can not imaging a hog winning a battle between a it and a well placed 460.

Good luck and thanks for the post.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm shooting a CVA Grey Wolf .50 Percussion. The sabot was a 300gr. shockwave. Granted when it comes to sabots I know nothing. I'm not even sure what the bullet caliber is, although I think it is .45. It is an old rifle, made in 1989. I bought it last year for next to nothing after it sat in a gun store for years. Brand new gun 16 years old go figure. BTW it has a 26" barrel.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

txrookie

Thanks for the info - you are right a 1989 barrel might be a problem for sabots. Grooves will really deep and the extruded barrel made during that time really was not held to specific bore standard, BUT I would give up quite yet for a couple of reasons.

One more question, as you are pushing the projectile down the barrel, especially on a clean bore does the force you need to exert change, in other words do the projectile go down easier in some spots and really tightin other places?

Here is another thought for you - TC shockwaves should have come with a thinner sabot than normal - BUT due to contract changes that did not always happen in fact there was a large batch of shockwaves that came out with the regular black sabot. You may have a batch of those. Look at a sabot is it Green or Black? Green usually 44 cal - Black usually 45 cal. Check the sabot cup, does the sabot have a stair step base, no plastic tit in the midlle, does it havea machine stamped number in or near the middle (not to be confused with what might appear to be a hand etched number)? If it has the stair step and machine number it should be a MMP HPH-24and that should bethe thinner sabot. Also Triple Seven, for the recond, believes that the Harvester loads easier than the 24.I have used them both and I can remember if there is a difference. The final option is the new Harvester "Crush rib" sabot. It is the thinnest sabot out there.

http://www.claybusterwads.com/harvester.html

This is an old add, they also have 44 "crush ribs" also now.

If we can find a sabot that works for you - look at the new Speer 300 grain Gold Dot - I bet a buck that bullet would put the hurts to a hog.

Thanks mike
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saotloader, yes the amount of pressure required to load does change but only at the top of the bore. It is very tight for about 6" and then gets considerably easier the rest of the way.
The sabots are black but as for the rest I'll have to get back to you. They are out in my truck and I'm feeling kinda lazy.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

txrookie

10-4, I was pretty sure that would be your description - the older CVA that I had and I can not remember the name was the same way tight top few inches and then somewhat ok.

talk to you later...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on making some smoke at the range!

I would say you are about there with 80gr 777 FFFG and the 385 Hornady with 2" grouping at 100 yards. Great shooting! That will make a an excellent and powerful hunting combo. I would not change a thing for that particular load even if 70 grains shoots the same. I would rather have the velocity and tolerate a little more recoil.

Remember, you won't be sosensitive to the 80gr charge in a single shothunting situation. Perhaps you were getting some rangefatigue and getting sensitive to the increased recoil? Happens to everyone.

The Hornady Great Plains 385gr is one conical I can get to shoot well in every 50 cal I own with a rifling of 1:48 or faster. It really does an excellent job on deer and should prove very well on hogs. Elk & Bear for that matter.

Working up loads at the range can be very spendy indeed in both time and money. That is why it's important to take the time so you carefully figure out what shoots the best without using up more supplies than you have to.

Sabot shooting can take some additional tinkering around to find what loads the easiest and still shoots the best.

I'm not surprised that the 300gr shockwave (hornady sst) was tough loading. They are, but I can assure you the 300gr SST does a number on game. But I would also not give up on the SST though. Try a 250gr. They load much easier and should certainly work on deer and hogs.The SST is one of the best performing projectiles I've ever used on game.

Also, when sabot's get cold they get much harder to load. This is where the range rod really shines. I also use a short starter with a jag for spire points if it's cold out and the sabot's get finicky to start.

Regards,

Tahquamenon