Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Check this out

Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 PM
bigcountry

Default Check this out

My neighbor wanted to try out my SS knight wolverine cause he got a misfire in nasty rainy weather with his T/C hawken. I said sure, he went out and shot it 5 times and then killed a deer the next morning. Then he called me immediately and wanted to buy it all excited. I said sure. It was for sale.

Then he called the other night and said he wanted to give it back. Said he was talking to some guy at bass pro and he said the CVA optima was much easier to clean and was able to shoot 150 gr of powder. I said whatever, and he gave it back. My wolverine is one that can only handle 120gr.

I have shot most ML and i know one thing the breach plug is the hard part to clean. It gets nasty. Other than that, cleaning is bascially the same basides some 209 residue before the breech plug. Big deal, take a brush and swipe it twice before brushing out the barrel. I just had to laugh. I would take a wolverine that I personally went out and shot a deer with and got 1" groups at 50 yards anyday over a bass pro recemmendation of a gun that is unknown on how it shoots. Thats just me. I am not saying it can't be done, but for my neighbor who shoots his ML once a year, how many bet he can't get 150gr of powder shooting out of it?

Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Check this out

Well I own a Wolverine as you know. I never considered it all that bad to clean. And for the accuracy, well I can not complain about the way the Wolverine shoots. I think he might be very hapy if he gets a Optima and shoots it once a year. I think he made a mistake by selling the Wolverine back. I'd of kept it and got the Optima too if I wanted one that bad.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

I would say that your neighbor was caught by a clever sales person that was spewing "Marketing-Speak".

I helped out a younger fellalast yearwhom was short on cash but wanted an ML by basically giving him ($100)and old T/C Rengade 50 cal I and aquired and restored. The rifle was superb and shot excellent.

He shot a nice doe his first season with it.

Then traded it in this yearon a el cheapoinline (I think a CVA Wolf at the recommendation of a sales critter when he was in a shop looking for patches and roundball for his Renegade)that shot worse, had a terrible trigger pull, fouled the action more and trigger mainspring failed in the field this season when he sighted up on a nice buck. Would have been his first buck.

He since admitted that he screwed up and is saving for a better rifle as I write this. I will likely help him as he is a good kid, loves to hunt and really loves ML's. He also want's his Renegade back and I know someone that might be interested in selling one,so I will see what I can do to make it available.

Well, let's hopeyou neighboris happy with his choice. [:-]

If you properly care for any weapon, muzzleloading or otherwise, thetime to care for and clean itis not even a consideration. If time is an issue then shooting and caring for a muzzleloader (or any other weapon IMHO)is not for the "in the hurry". That often results in something getting missed and thus neglected.

M2C

Tahquamenon
Old 01-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Then he called the other night and said he wanted to give it back. Said he was talking to some guy at bass pro and he said the CVA optima was much easier to clean and was able to shoot 150 gr of powder. I said whatever, and he gave it back. My wolverine is one that can only handle 120gr."

What a turkey!! No doubt his CVA will kill the critters 'deader" than the Knight...................... (In an inline, I'd take aKnight any day over any CVA-matter of fact, I'd take nearly anything over a CVA!)

Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

bigcountry,
YouNEED to introduce your neighbor to the forum[:@] You took the high road on this deal....good for you

Tahquamenon,
Your "quite the guy", helping this young man. You'd be welcome in my hunting camp any day
Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 AM
bigcountry

Well, I was giving him a deal actually. Like 100 dollars for a stainless/syn wolverine with changed over williams fiber sights and 209 kit. I mean I travel quite a bit and they always pick up my mail and all.

The difference between us is I will pay top dollar for a gun I can actually witness or shoot and get good groups. In fact, I have been known to offer more for a used centerfire that shoots 1MOA than any new one. Nothing like the proof in the pudding.

I think he was a little aggrivated about cleaning. He wanted to do it his way. The way I do it is first take the gun apart, and use a special brush to clean out the breech area and threads. Try to the grease out first. I then rinse and start to push the brass brush down. And usually as a rule only do this as manny times I shot. I then use a jag and bam I am done. Meanwhile I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the breech plug and end of the hammer. It cleans itself. Spray all mechanical parts with rem oil spray. Put some decent oil all over the barrel. 30 - 40 min tops. he said he spent 2 hours. I don't know how.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was the ultrasonic cleaner part - he didn't have one so had to shake it by hand.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always clean any gun I use right after returning from shooting, whether it is a modern smokeless powder arm or a BP gun. I believe that a black-powder gun is not really more difficult to clean than a modern weapon, just DIFFERENT. There may be a few more items that have to be cleaned, such as the nipple, breech plug (on ML tha thave removable breech plugs), hammer/striker face, etc. But I can clean a single-barrel ML in about a half hour. A double takes about 15 minutes more due to the extra nipple and bore. And of course, the extra bore requires a second pot of boiling water to be heated up......
Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have to disagree with eldequello. I say this because i shoot a CVA Hunterbolt and i can match any other modle or make of gun. I have shot 150 grains out of my gun and have never had any kind of proplem with it. In my personal experience i would buy a CVA over any make of muzzleloader. Keep in mind that CVA Hunterbolt also is the number one selling muzzleloader of all time.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bradisthebest

I have to disagree with eldequello. I say this because i shoot a CVA Hunterbolt and i can match any other modle or make of gun. I have shot 150 grains out of my gun and have never had any kind of proplem with it. In my personal experience i would buy a CVA over any make of muzzleloader. Keep in mind that CVA Hunterbolt also is the number one selling muzzleloader of all time.

Quick Reply: Check this out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.