Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Moister Proofing

Old 12-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moister Proofing

I like the valve stem cap idea. Would that work for musket caps? If I stay with #11's I like the fish tank hose idea. What are those finger cots? What are they for and where do you get them? What do you guys think about Aluminum foil? I could cut little pieces out and put them in my pocket then just put it around the cap and nipple. Then it wont melt like plastic wrap.At night time could I just keep whatever I have over the muzzle, take the cap off and put some plastic over the nipple then lay it in the the bed of the truck and be fine or would it be better to fire it, run some patches down it, then put it in the bed of the truck and load it again the next day?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont shoot my muzz off after each hunting day but i am taking chance that it wont go off.i have hunted a week without shooting the muzz in deer season and it still went off. aluminum is shiny and deer will see it. i use flintlock, i dont like the in-lines,take care
Old 12-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont like the inlines either. What if you had the dull side of the aluminum up and the shiny side down? I am talking just a little bit for the nipple. I would not use it of the muzzle.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sharp Shooter

Sometime if you get a chance try the plastic wrap - you really might be surprised... It really doesn't melt per sey - the piece that was over you cap or breech is blown away by the exploding cap and the bit of blowback coming back up the nipple. There is no mess no fuss it is just gone...

I can't say that I am a fan of the valve cap over the cap because that might cost me time when I need to get the shot off now...

What are those finger cots? What are they for and where do you get them?
Finger cots could be compared to small ballons that you insert over the end of the muzzle. The are available in about any pharmacy - I get mine at wal-mart. They are not as heavy(thick) as the regular muzzle mitts but they work ok.

At night time could I just keep whatever I have over the muzzle, take the cap off and put some plastic over the nipple
If you are storing the rifle at niight in a place it will not get wet - I would at night I would remove the covers and allow the gun to breath, or you might trap moisture and/or condensation in the barrel. Most people would tell you if you feel there is any chance that your charge could get or be contaminated - shoot and reload in the morning...

People have already shown you what the finger cot is but I took the picture so I' all add it to this...

Old 12-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I am going to go with this. A guy showed it to me on another forum. It goes over a special nipple with an "0" ring to seal it. The North American Hunting club tested it by spraying water all over that area and then fired the rifle. If went off just fine. Below the pic is a link to where you can get them.

http://www.octobercountry.com/products2.php?categoryid=392
Old 12-29-2005, 08:49 PM

Old 12-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

-
Old 12-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Spike

I was out in the rain yesterday here in Ohio and I placed a small piece of electrical tape over the end of my barrel. Simple, cheap and it was in my work truck and the boss paid for it.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those little pink plastic things are supposed to work good. If you want to make thousands of em for cheap go to Home Depot or Lowes. Go to the sprinkler section and get some of that skinny drip system hose (that goes from the main big hose to the plant). You can get 10' to 15' for cheap. It fits on just like the ones you would buy. We even had some in the garage. A foot would make you 100 minimum. And make sure you get the more rubbery hose if you do it. For the valve stem cap idea, a 22. shell casing or a pistol shell casing will work to.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ya like the O ring Idea go to the hardware store with a nipple and find the O ring that fits. Use a 22 LR case with a hole drilled in it as a cover seal it(the drilled hole)with epoxy glue. A bunch cheaper than 14.95 and will do the same job.

?? what ever happened to the leather flap over the nipple like ggrandad used???????
Al

Quick Reply: Moister Proofing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.