Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbie Question: Muzzleloader Barrels >

Newbie Question: Muzzleloader Barrels

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie Question: Muzzleloader Barrels

Old 12-21-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Newbie Question: Muzzleloader Barrels

I want to buy a muzzleloader and I have been reading allI can find on the internet as well as bugging everyone I know. I can't spend the money on a high end Encore, but I'm looking for a reliable gun for around $300 or so. I have looked at the Traditions & CVA guns. Is it important to have a stainless or nickel barrel as far as cleaning? I live in NW Florida and apparently I have picked a bad time this close to XMAS to find much in stock. I would consider buying online, but I really like to see and hold a gun before buying.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbie Question: Muzzleloader Barrels

If you can't find one of the T/C Omegas that have been in Walmarts for $169 on sale, and you do not have more than $300 to spend on the rifle and accessories; I would recommend looking at the NEF break action rather than one of the Spanish barrel guns like CVA or Traditions. You will spend about the same money and have a rifle with an american barrel that has not been in question for safety.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend the CVA Hunterbolt. For the money it is the best you can buy.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have two of the Traditions "Lightning" type bolt actions, a .45 and a .50.

Deaspite being "Spanish", they are both quite accurate with up to 120 grains of loose powder in either of them with full bore-diameter conical bullets. I use a Power Belt in the .50, and a Lyman cast 457122HP 350-grain bullet sized to .451 in the .45.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these rifles, as far as I can tell. However, I do not use those three-pellet, magnum loads. Where I hunt, a shot over 100 yards is very unlikely, so I don't need them!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:35 AM

Go to the bargain cave on Cabelas then click on blackpowder. If you dont mind .45 caliber they have the CVA Kodiak magnum. You can get it for 149.00. It is a good deal and you can get 20.00 dollars off if you have a Christmas Cabelas coupon and use it before the 23rd. Also there is the Traditions Evolution bolt action with Laminated wood stock in stainless fluted barrel at The Sportsmans Guide. It is the most expensive that Traditions makes and it is at a good price. These rifles are really accurate. Item is WX2-99461 at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=219326 If you order from there they have a lifetime warranty on returns, no questions asked as long as you have the receipt. They will even take back the muzzleloader if you have fired it and dont like it 3 years from now or 5 years no time limit. What other company will do that. I have bought lots of stuff from there and it stands true. They have a blued Knight Disc elite in .50 cal. that comes with Knight bases and rings and a Knight logo sling for 197.00. This is one of their more accurate rifles and it features the quick take down bolt and quick release bolt feature. This rifle retails very high at other places. Item is WX2-92336 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=210646. They have other deals on there as well. Sign up for email specials and they will send you a 10.00 off coupon code to use on orders over 99.00. Do the coupon thing first though. This will just about cover your shipping. Good luck finding one at these places or wherever you decide to get one. Oh!!, Click on the attatchment below to see the Traditions evolution photo.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

buy an omega z5.....thompson center or knight are the only way to go.