Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Variflame cap holder >

Variflame cap holder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Variflame cap holder

Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Variflame cap holder

Has anyone used this cap holder? It is called Variflame and isdesigned to hold a small rifle primer and is claimed to not push sabot off powder charge. The manufacturer claims 209 primers are to hot and push the projectile off the powder thus creating flyers. Sounds logical but haven't seen any research to prove it.
I used pistol primers for years. I can't remember the name of the primer holder but it replaced the nipple and had a screw on cap with built in firing pin and worked great, never had a misfire.
Been long time reader of these forums and gathered alot of interesting, helpful and enjoyable info.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Variflame cap holder

I have it. Works fine in my omega, can tell yet if it improves groups. Does seem a little cleaner. My son's converted Traditions lightning bolt had some (about 1 out of 5) loads that didn't ignite. I used with triple seven and pinnacle. Not to inconvenient to make up. probable takes 5 min to make up ten variflame caps.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:27 AM

I bought one for my CVA Kodiak and I was not impressed at all. First of all I used the recomended CCI primers and when I went to the range and tried it out I had quite a few misfires. I don't think it was my rifle because I had never had a misfire using 209's and now I was getting about 1 in 5 shots ending in a misfire. I continued to try to make it work for me and just ended up with the same results. I went back to the original 209 breech plug and haven't had a problem yet. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, but I'm sticking with the 209.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 AM

Shot last night with my omega using variflame adapters. I got a 1" group at yards with 250 gr shockwavea and 80 gr of weighed pinnacle. I think need to clean the adapters. I have shot them about three times and the are getting cruddy. From what I have been reading different rifles respond to the lower fired caps. I think I would wait for some cooler 209 caps to come out. Gander mt. said they had some coming in.