Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Butch's Bore Shine ? >

Butch's Bore Shine ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Butch's Bore Shine ?

Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Butch's Bore Shine ?

Asked this on another site, but want to try here.

On another thread I talked about a problem getting a SS Omega to group after trying numerous powder/sabot/conical combo's - probably 60 shots. Per suggestions, I order some J&B paste to try lapping which hasn't got here yet.

Tried to find it local today -- no luck but picked up some Butch's and a new bore brush.
I've cleaned this bore to where I was getting clean patchs with about every method I know - boiling water, solvents, simple green with jags, brushes, and mop and it shined.

Started with the Butch's with 2 patches on brush followed by 2 to 4 dry. WOW. 30 patch's later, I am still getting crap on every patch - arm is tired and I am taking a break.

Is Butch's that special and/or could their be that much gunk in the rifling? I am going to keep going till I pull clean patches.

Anyone have any ideas or similar experiance? Also seems to be a little tighter the last few inches by the muzzle.
Thanks
Steve

Old 12-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Butch's Bore Shine ?

Butches is an execlent product. Question are you using a brass brush or a nylon, Butches is a solevent that removes cu from your barrel, so it eats brass brushes also. I don't know how this would work on a blue barrel but if you remove the barrel from the stock (it will eat the stock) and use carb cleaner, it will take it all out or at least it's worked for me a time or 2 in the past
Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might have a point - still getting stuff. Think I will try the jag with it

Thanks
Steve
Old 12-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Butch's Bore Shine is some excellent stuff. Put your cleaning jag on and saturate a tight fitting patch. Then work that back and fourth in the barrel and it will actually foam up. When you get it to that stage, you know it is cleaning. After that some dry patche is usually all it takes. That has to be a favorite cleaner of mine.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Butch's Bore Shine is an exceptional product. I've been using it for several years. They also have a "Black Powder" version that I have not messed with.

I use BBS to:
[ul][*]On new bores to quickly remove all packing lubes and varnish buildup.[*]Restore neglected rifle bores that I work on (about6a year). Helps to remove rust, excessive fouling and "seasoning" buildup for difficult to load rifles.[*]After shooing conicals to remove lead.[*]After 100 sabot rounds within a bore to remove any plastic buildup.[*]Once or twice a year to clean down to the bare metal.[/ul]
I use about a quart of BBS every year. Superb Product!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahquamenon
Butch's Bore Shine ...is an exceptional product. I've been using it for several years. They also have a "Black Powder" version that I have not messed with.
FWIW I prefer the "Blackpowder" version of Butch's Bore Shine on my muzzleloaders. It really cleans them fast!

That said, I'm more partial to the hot soapy water method, but will use the BP Butch's periodically.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, for all routine cleaning it's a couple quarts of boiling hot soapy (1-TBS laundry detergent) pump flushing and then boiling clean water.

I use the BBS for only select procedures.