Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pyrodex Powder Life Expectancy >

Pyrodex Powder Life Expectancy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex Powder Life Expectancy

Old 12-08-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Pyrodex Powder Life Expectancy

I was given a bottle of pyrodex powder from a friend whose husband died 8 years ago. Assuming this has never gotten wet, do you think it is still good? I don't think I will use it to hunt, but maybe as plinking ammo.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Pyrodex Powder Life Expectancy

ORIGINAL: paco97

I was given a bottle of pyrodex powder from a friend whose husband died 8 years ago. Assuming this has never gotten wet, do you think it is still good? I don't think I will use it to hunt, but maybe as plinking ammo.
I'm still using up leftover Pyrodex RS that I bought back in the early 90's and haven't noticed abit of difference in looks, smell, ignition, accuracy, etc...been sitting tightly sealed in the original containers inmy garage for years
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

If it is in the original jug, I would suspect it will shoot just fine. Only the range will prove that point though.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

It will be as fine as Pyrodex ever was as long as it was stored ok. Actually if the top was on tight it should be fine as long as it was not contamminated. If it pours freely and shoots ok at the range it is ok.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Try it if you wish. As metioned, it should be alright.

Not being a pyrodex fan myself, the life expectancy of pyrodexin my powder magazine would be zero time. I would either give it away to someone that wanted itor dump it out. Pyrodex would be my last choice for powder, I've shot about four pounds and can't stand the stuff.

M2C
Old 12-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only the gun range know for sure. Assuming your rifle is already sighted-in with another powder, the main thing you want to look for is consistency. If you can shoot 3-5 shot groups with it... it's fine as long as you are not dialing a million scope clicks so shots move upwards. If you normally shoot a similar strength powder & this one falls two feet lower at 50 yards,dispose of it properly.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: paco97

As long as the powder container was kept tightly closed, in a relatively cool, dry environment, it should be OK. When the powder starts to clump up, it may be suspect. But I've got some Pyrodex that is a lot older than that, and it still shoots as it should.....