Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP revolver

Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM

Default BP revolver

i am the owner of a an 1858 Remington revolver reproduction, and i have been shooting round balls ever since i get the pistol. i was wondering if anyone else on this board ever shot these and if i should continue to shoot round balls or make the move to round nose bullets? i am trying to get the most accuracy out of my pistol and any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
james
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: BP revolver

I have been shooting one for about eight years now. I shoot the .451 roundball and 25 grains of Goex 3f and the accuracy is exceptional. I did buy some roundnose pistol bullets for it. They are not as easy to load and you really have to slow down or they jam in the loading ramp. Other then that they shot all right. The roundball is my bunny hunting weapon. Throw on some snowshoes, hit the marsh, and hunt snowshoe rabbits.. great way to spend an afternoon.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM

thanks for the info, i was also wondering about using wonderwads or borebuttons. what do you think about it?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Dominant Buck

yes I use the bore buttons... I also grease the cylinder after it is loaded with Crisco. I had a chain fire before and decided that is something I never want to happen again.

If your looking for cheap conicals http://www.blackjackhill.com/ check Black Jack out.. I got some 200 grain round nose bullets there and some .451 ball.Bill is pretty easy to work with if you need something too.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I also use the same gun with .451 round balls and also use Goex 3f, but I use enough amount of cream-of wheat on top of the wad to keep the ball flushwith the cylinder
holes and Iusea little Bore Butter spread evenly over the balls.Doing the above,the bullets don't have much of a jump into the barrel and will improve accuracy. I also have an extra cylinder loaded and ready to go.
I have the SS repoRem. 1858.