Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 t/c black diamond xr >

t/c black diamond xr

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c black diamond xr

Old 12-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Default t/c black diamond xr

i just bought a t/c black diamond xr stainless/rt hardwoods 50 cal. at wal-mart on clearance for 125.00. couldn't pass it up for the price. just wondering who else had one and what you think about it.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: t/c black diamond xr

First off.. that's a heck of a price on a great rifle. I have a Black Diamond XR but not Stainless.. and I paid a lot more then $125.00 for it too..[] Oh well, they are a great rifle.

Just some words of advise on the Diamond. Watch your breech plug. They like to tighten so grease it good. Finger tight when you put it in and then back it off just a touch. Every seven to ten shots take that worthless wrench they gave you with the rifle and give it a twist back and fourth to make sure it is not seizing. If your done shooting for the day and it is a long drive home from the range or field, take the thing out... you will be very glad you did if you ever get one stuck. (Can you tell I am talking from experience here..)

If you want a better breech plug wrench, they make one. It is a Black Diamond Deluxe Breech plug wrench. It works a lot better for REMOVING the breech plug but not for checking it on the range. There you still need that one that came with the rifle. Also a long socket and extension will slip right in to the breech and you can take it out with a 7/16th socket (I believe it is).

On your locking lugs there are two small washers. Do not loose them. Roskoe I think it was suggested glue them in place. I just have not done that yet. But it is a good idea. You loose one and you set everything off balance. Also when you bench rest it, shoot off the fore arm and not the barrel. The barrel is free floating.

Over all you will be amazed at the accuracy that the rifle can produce. I shoot a lot of different projectiles. The Shockwaves shoot excellent out of the rifle, as do conicals of all wonderful surprises.... Good luck with your rifle and let us know if there is anything we can help you out with. A lot of Black Diamond owners on this board!!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 PM

Wow!! I paid more than twice that much for mine, a few years back, and that was at dealer price! These are pretty nice muzzleloaders - I have two. If I had found one at our local Wal Mart for $125, I would own three.

They are as accurate as the Omega or Encore (use the same barrel). Lightweight, with a good trigger, and a very ergonomic stock. Only real drawback is that the open breech design allows a lot of powder residue to get back behind the breech plug, and things like sand and twigs can get in the open breech when the striker is cocked. I am fairly uncomfortable carrying mine "cocked and locked" - usually have the striker down. I also like the musket caps better than the 209's or #11's. Easier to manipulate in the open breech.

If for some reason you don't like it, send me a private e-mail. A money order will follow shortly . . . .
Old 12-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Spike

I purchased the same rifle last year from Walmart. I will tell you one thing, T/C made that special for Walmart. If its the same as what I had, it's called a Black Diamond XR Express. At least thats what was stamped on the barrel. I was told by a friend that Wally World rifles are not always the same as you would get from the manufacturer.

Inoticed in the T/Cproduct catalogthat the Walmart version hasinexpensive sights,its a different HW camo, and you get just the 209 ignition system. Thats how Walmart could sell it for a low price. I askedT/C about it and they werevery hesitate at first to fess up but finally a manager told meit was a special version for Walmart. T/Cdid ensured methere wasn't anything inferior, just didn't have all the thingsas you would get from T/C. After I did the math on the price I paid, I returned mine to Walmart.

BUT $125, thats a steal and I would have jumped all over that too!