Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Broken Cleaning Jags >

Broken Cleaning Jags

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Broken Cleaning Jags

Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broken Cleaning Jags

One thing odd happened yesterday while I was shooting. I broke off both of my brass cleaning jags while swabbing a barrel. Have any of you ever had this happen? Do you know what may have caused this? There didn't seem to be any pressure on the jags when they broke. One of them was the brand new one that came with the Omega. I really like it.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Broken Cleaning Jags

Yup, mine broke too this weekend - the same original one that came with the Omega. Same as you, no lateral pressure no nothing just snapped right at the thread.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

sounds like defective cleaning jags.. don't ya just hate that.. Then you have to scramble around to get replacements.... And you end up in a sporting goods store near the new rifles, and that's a dangerous place to be.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:39 PM

I make my own cleaning jags out of 1/2" brass rods. They are actually combination swabbing/bullet seater jags. I drill the jag out a tap it 10X32 and then red loctite a SAE Grade 5 10X32 screw in there. This creates a very durable jag. If you know someone with a lathe, you might be able to repair yours this way.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

my 2 cents - most often the jags break when they become loose. It you push your rod down the the rifling in the barrel tends to turn the jag out, when it becomes loose it has a real tendancy to break at the stud. If it stays tight amd compressed up against the rod you are less likely to get the breakage... If you use a range rod that allows the rod to turn as it goes down you probably will not experiance the breakage - myself I try to tighten the rod at the bottom of each stroke... If you are using your gun rod try to allow it to twist in your hand.

Just a thought
Old 12-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Yah I agree. I was pressed for time and was not paying attention. I believe they were both loose when it happened. Lesson learned. Where can I get a range rod?
ORIGINAL: sabotloader

my 2 cents - most often the jags break when they become loose. It you push your rod down the the rifling in the barrel tends to turn the jag out, when it becomes loose it has a real tendancy to break at the stud. If it stays tight amd compressed up against the rod you are less likely to get the breakage... If you use a range rod that allows the rod to turn as it goes down you probably will not experiance the breakage - myself I try to tighten the rod at the bottom of each stroke... If you are using your gun rod try to allow it to twist in your hand.

Just a thought
Old 12-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Where were you at before I threw them In the trash last night? Man I hate digging things out of the trash!![&o][:'(]
ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I make my own cleaning jags out of 1/2" brass rods. They are actually combination swabbing/bullet seater jags. I drill the jag out a tap it 10X32 and then red loctite a SAE Grade 5 10X32 screw in there. This creates a very durable jag. If you know someone with a lathe, you might be able to repair yours this way.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:56 PM

I use a Knight Range Rod, after braking my jag last year and it works real well and is solidly built, provided you don't forget it at homewhen you go to the range
Old 12-01-2005, 03:27 PM

Dewey make a special rod for .50 caliber muzzleloaders. It is coated and has their usualball bearing swivel handle.