Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what to put in the barrel >

what to put in the barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what to put in the barrel

Old 11-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Default what to put in the barrel

ok once clean what do you put in the barrel for storing? a light coat of gun oil?rem oil? what do you guys use?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what to put in the barrel

Rem Oil with Teflon is good.. I personally like Birchwood Casey Sheath. Then just check them every 6 months.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

I just leave the Bore Butter in during the season... Otherwise I am a fan of RemOil... Cheap and I have never had problems.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:28 PM

what about TC bore butter? Is that any good?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

y_not5

Barrel Care: this is really a hot topic with a ton of different thoughts - you will develope your own care plan over time.

I wrote this along time ago and I still feel very confident in this procedure. I do not know if this the information you are looking for or not.

The use of Bore Butter - I really believe it is a good product but I also beleive there is right way and a wrong way to use it in modern day ML's not using real Black Powder.

I almost hate to mention this because it is going to start up a huge discussion again.... I shoot sabots exclusivly in 6 different ML guns and 4 different shot guns - 2 of them high quality trap guns. I do not get plastic fouling in any of the ML's and I now can also say I have reduced the plastic fouling in my shotgun chokes drastically. OK here is the dirty word "bore butter"

I believe if it applied in what i think is the correct method it really reduces fouling.... Example if you have a shot gun with screw chokes after you have shot several rounds through the choke take the choke out and look at it. It will black and streaky with plasic fouling - put a little BB on your finger and rub it around in the choke - you will really be surprised at what happens to the plastic fouling.

My feelings are "how the bore butter is applied is the real key" - It should not be caked inside the barrel or added to the sabots as a lubricant, nor should it be used as a spitpatch.

The ONLY time I use BB is in a HOT barrel after cleaning and when the the barrel is dry. Apply BB to a cotton bore swab and run it down the barrel, the hotter the barrel the better, because the pores are wide open. When you pull the bore swab out you will not belive what has happen, the pores in the barrel will litterally suck up the BB completely remove it from your brush. I do this a couple of times - then while the barrel is still warm dry patch it with a clean patch and get as much of the loose BB out as you can. After it has cooled re-pete the patch process. The only BB that reamins will be in the pores and a small amount trapped behind the lands.
Your first shot will remove that also. The final step is to apply a light of coat of quality gun oil. What you have now is a clean and smooth barrel, I really would not use the words "a seasoned barrel" because it is not... what it is a smooth bore less prone to cause fricton.This coating last for several rounds releasing a bit each time it is fired.

Lots of people are going to disagree but that is what 6 years of experiance has shown me and others. It is all in how you APPLY IT.

Another thing I do not battle and I think it is again becuse of BB - I do not get the "crud ring" in any of my ML's and I use t7 loose powder with 209 ignition.

Now, all of this is my opinion and your results may not be the same - BUT don't shoot the messenger - the non BB folks are a lot more vocal than the bb users.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM

The best i have found is Ballistol. vangunsmith