Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 problem with sight-in Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff >

problem with sight-in Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

problem with sight-in Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff

Old 11-13-2005, 09:21 PM

Default problem with sight-in Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff

Hello guys, I got a big problem, please help me
I just put new Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 scope on my brand new CVA Hunterbolt .50cal using Leupold Mid Height Scopering and base. I began to sight-in at 25 yards using a very solid base shooting rest. The first shot was 4 inches low, no left-right windage. According to the Nikon manual, 1 div on the elevation equal to 1/4 MOA and 1 MOA at the 100 yards equal to 1 inch, then I should dial Up 16 div's to compensate for the low, right? I did try with 8 div's to see what was going on then shot the next round. It was still a hole on the paper right next to the first one. Then I dialed another 8 div's then shot, still got a hole right next to the first and second shot. I was amaze about the tight group but was so dispointed with the elevation dial. I then dialed Up another 8 div's then shot, still got a hole again right next to the other three. It seems to me that the elevation dial does not work at all. Have any of you guys got that problem? Did I do anything wrong? Do you have any suggestions? Please help me. The deer season is about to start in 5 days. I got allmost everything prepared for this exept this scope thing.
Thank a lot, I learnt a lot from this Black Powder forum and you guys are fantastic.
khuengo
Old 11-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: problem with sight-in Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff

I had the same problem with a Tasco World Classscope I bought a couple years ago. I had it professionally mounted and the gunsmith (who sold it to me) said he thought there was something wrong because it took an unusual amount of adjustment to bore sight it.

I took the rifle out and it would not even hit paper, and it was alledged to be bore sighted. So I took it back to the gun shop. He took it off and mounted an identical one in it's place. That one was and still is perfect. He said he sent that first scope back to Tasco to be checked and they ended up giving him credit for it...

I'd call the company monday morning and see what they suggest... or at least the store you bought the scope from.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: khuengo

Hello guys, I got a big problem, please help me
I just put new Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 scope on my brand new CVA Hunterbolt .50cal using Leupold Mid Height Scopering and base. I began to sight-in at 25 yards using a very solid base shooting rest. The first shot was 4 inches low, no left-right windage. According to the Nikon manual, 1 div on the elevation equal to 1/4 MOA and 1 MOA at the 100 yards equal to 1 inch, then I should dial Up 16 div's to compensate for the low, right? I did try with 8 div's to see what was going on then shot the next round. It was still a hole on the paper right next to the first one. Then I dialed another 8 div's then shot, still got a hole right next to the first and second shot. I was amaze about the tight group but was so dispointed with the elevation dial. I then dialed Up another 8 div's then shot, still got a hole again right next to the other three. It seems to me that the elevation dial does not work at all. Have any of you guys got that problem? Did I do anything wrong? Do you have any suggestions? Please help me. The deer season is about to start in 5 days. I got allmost everything prepared for this exept this scope thing.
Thank a lot, I learnt a lot from this Black Powder forum and you guys are fantastic.
khuengo
Either the scope is defective or you need a rear mount shim. Take it back & mount another new one.

I have the same scope on my Rem .270. There is a windage adjustment on the 3-9 Prostaff. Or did you meant to say "no left-right windage adjustment necessary"?????
Old 11-14-2005, 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
I have the same scope on my Rem .270. There is a windage adjustment on the 3-9 Prostaff. Or did you meant to say "no left-right windage adjustment necessary"?????
sorry, I meant "no left-right windage adjustment necessary". There is a windage adjustment nob on the scope. Now, it is late to send the scope back and wait for the new one since the deer season is about to start in my area, i guess i will take your advice with rear mount shim.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Assuming all of your shooting procedures are good and your given projectile and powder charge delivers repeatable accuracy...

If you are having scope issues and don't have time to effectively correct them, I would remove the scope and hunt open sights.

Better to be hunting with what you know than what is suspect.

My .02.

Good Luck!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:10 PM

sorry guys, false alarm. Nothing is wrong with my scope. I called Nikon Tech this morning and found out I have to dial 64 clicks to compensate for the elevation which I should have done. I did the math wrong and feel so dumb [&o]. I spend this morning at range and finally got my ML hit where I wanted to.
Once again, sorry and thanks a lot for your speedy help, as always

Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

the important thing is you got the rifle shooting and are happy with it.. now get out there and make it work..

good luck with your rifle and new scope!!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Great News!

Good luck this season!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

4 inches low at 25 yards = 16 inches low (approximately 16 moa) at 100 yards.

If 1 click = 1/4 inchs (MOA) at 100 yards you will need to go 64 clicks up to get to zero.

I would suggest going half of that (32 clicks) and shoot again at 50 yards, then go from there.

Don't know how you have it mounted, but you may consider going to a gunsmith and putting some sort of shim under the rear mount to raise it slightly.

Good luck
Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 PM

I zeroed my ML today and was so happy with the result. I got one-inch group at 100 yards bench rest and could blow up some jugs of water at 50, 75 and 100 yards standing with no/little forehand support. The hunterbolt is extremely accurate. I am pretty confident I could kill a buck if there is any within my 100 yard sight. All I need to do now is keep practice shooting and wait for this Friday and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks
By the way, after shooting a buck, since there is a big smoke coming out, how could you know if you kill that buck without climbing down from your tree-stand? I do not want to climb down with all my stuff and see nothing then climb up again. I am not lazy, just do not want other bucks smell my odor/see me when I climb downand walk. Please advice

Quick Reply: problem with sight-in Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.