Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Are there black powder competitions? >

Are there black powder competitions?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are there black powder competitions?

Old 11-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are there black powder competitions?

Are there black powder competitions? If so what kind of classes are there? Traditional, Inline? I was just wondering. I really want to try black powder and if I like it maybe see if there are any competitions in my area. Would a Thompson traditional 54cal be good? Is it a good hunting rifle to for big mule deer? It is my grandpa's muzzle loader but he said I could have it.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Are there black powder competitions?

There are of course different competitions. They range from local shoots at clubs to national levels. It is all a matter of how involved you want to get. Local club shoots that are informal, such as a woods walk shoot are in my opinion one of the best ways to spend an afternoon there is.

The traditional .54 caliber rifle is one of the best hunting rifles out there. Never under estimate the power of a roundball for taking game. It has been doing it for hundreds of years. There is a report of a person shooting a moose at over 160 yards with a T/C Renegade in .54 caliber with 80 grains of PyrodexI believe it was,and a roundball. Not that I would recommend shooting under that range condition, but it does demonstrate the killing power of a roundball. Shot placement is always important.

Give the rifle a try on the range. I think you will see how accurate the rifle is. When hunting, put that roundball in the right place and the roundball will do the rest.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Are there black powder competitions?

Open Directory - Recreation: Guns: Blackpowder: Clubs and Associations