Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bipod broke my sling stud. >

Bipod broke my sling stud.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bipod broke my sling stud.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Bipod broke my sling stud.

I have an Omega with a composite stock and purchased a Harris Bipod which secures to the front sling stud.

Last time I was at the range the bipod came right off after a shot. I thought that it maybe became unloosened and all I needed was to tighten it again, but upon closer examination I saw that the bipod pulled my front sling stud right out.

I'm guessing that the recoil put a little lateral pressure on the sling stud and eventually after enough shots it just worked itself out. Problem is I can't just screw it back in because it pops right out as the threads no longer have a grip.

I bought a replacement swivel set that contained a nut and bolt (instead of the wood screw type) sling stud, but unfortunately I can't secure it from the inside because the bolt is a little too long and it interferes with the ramrod.

I suppose I can cut the bolt and create a recessed area for the nut so it doesn't interfere with the ramrod, or I can just screw in my original sling stud an inch away from the first hole (in which case I can't use the bipod because it will work itself out again).

Not sure how I'm going to solve this yet, but I just wanted to give a head's up to anyone who is using a sling stud mounted bipod to be aware of the potential problem.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Bipod broke my sling stud.

I had the same problem with both of my Black Diamonds. You are on the right track for a "cure". I went to the nut/bolt sling stud, recessed the nut so it is a little below flush with the bottom of the barrel channel.

One of mine let go when I was carrying it through the woods slinged during the 2002 elk season. The front sight hit the ground pretty hard, but the pine needles cushioned the impact to the point where it didn't break the front sight. Lucky.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Black Bellamy

I suppose I can cut the bolt and create a recessed area for the nut so it doesn't interfere with the ramrod, or I can just screw in my original sling stud an inch away from the first hole (in which case I can't use the bipod because it will work itself out again).
You will need to drill a recessed area in the stock for the "nut" - only drill the depth that you need, in fact I leave the cavity a bit short and a bit undersized so that when I pull it down with the stud it makes a very tight fit. It is very common to cut or fit the stud to the length that you need.
When you cut it, if you leave the nut installed as low as you can then cut the stud - then turn the nut off it will repair the threads on the way off.

I am thinking that you can use the same hole for you new assembly. If you choose not to use new assembly and want to install a wood screw type asembly back in the orginal hole - fill the orginal hole with some bedding glass and redrill it to accept the screw stud.

Good luck in what ever way you go...
Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM

My 700Ml did the same thing. I used epoxy to put it back in and worked for 2 seasons, now it came out again. I'm thinking of getting a different stock for mine anyway because I want a youth stock. Actually I would rather have a wood stock to be honest. I might find out if Richards can make one that fits that barrel. I don't even need the slot for the ram rod for what I use it for.

Paul
Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 PM

If you don't need the ramrod channel, a regular stock for a varmint-weight barrel Remington 700 might work with only minor modification.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:23 PM

That is what I was hoping, a stock for a heavy barrel would fit or something simular. I want to get a stock for my savage 17HMR first. If I like that I might check into one for my ML just for the heck of it. I don't have the cash any way right now, just thinking out loud is all.

Paul