Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Succcess with the ML! >

Succcess with the ML!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Succcess with the ML!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Spike

Default Succcess with the ML!

I posted in the deer hunting section, but thought this would also be of interest in the Blackpowder forum.

Muzzleloader season for my North Carolina Region opened on Saturday, but I wasn't able to get out until this morning. In my stand at 5:30, and got to watch a great sunrise. The squirrels were active as usual, and about 8:15 I heard some ground activity to the left of my stand in some dense brush. Thinking it was squirrels again, I leaned around to look, and was surprised to find that the noise was a nice size doe moving in the woods. I watched for about 15 minutes, and could make out more deer behind her, but they were simply feeding and moving very slowly. They finally made it into the clearing in front of my stand. Two nice size does, and two smaller ones. After watching for another 3-5 minutes, I picked the larger doe at about 25 yds. and took my shot. When the smoke cleared I was amazed that the deer hadn't gone down where she stood. After waiting about 20 minutes I got down and quickly found a good blood trail leading back into the brush. I found her about 30 yards from where she was hit. The shot had gone in just behind the right shoulder and exited about2 inches forward and lower on the other side... the deer's heart was pulverized... it always amazes me how an animal can travel 25 yds. with that type of trauma.

This was my first deer with a muzzleloader, and while I would like to have harvested a nice buck, I feel very good about it for three reasons... 1. I will have some nice venison in the freezer, 2. I now feel confident about my ML capabilities, and 3. Now I can concentrate on hunting a buck!

I really want to thank the folks on this forum who have been so helpful in getting me started right with ML shooting. Cayugad, and several others have been especially good teachers.

By the way, I was using a TC Omega, synth/ss, with kleanbore primers, 85g of loose T7, and 250g shockwaves. Everything performed just as well as it did on the range!

Gun season opens next Saturday, but I really am hoping I might have some luck the rest of this week and get that "first buck" with the muzzle loader! Wish I had a picture to share, but I didn't have a camera handy, and took the deer to a local processor shortly after I field dressed her. Muzzleloading is fun!!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Succcess with the ML!

congratulations on your first black powder deer!! Sounds like the Shockwave did just what it was supposed to do. Many times they do not drop on the spot but it sounds like you have a good blood trail and the rifle and projectile behaved perfect. It just does not get better then that. Again, Congratulations!!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!

Sounds like it was a fun hunt!!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe harvest.