Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

45 or 50 cal?

Old 11-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 45 or 50 cal?

I'm going to get my first ML soon, within the next week or so. My question is, should I get the 50cal or the 45cal?

My thought is there probably isn't that much difference. On paper, I would think the 45 would have a little higher muzzle velocity and a little "less" knockdown.

Am I close?

I'm looking at aCVAPro 209 Magnum Rifle with Scope - Nickel/Black Fleck from Cabelas for $330. Both the 45 & 50 cal seem to be the same price.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45 or 50 cal?

A 50-cal can do everthing a 45 can do. Most tims using the same bullets/grain sizes. Alot more 50-cal accesories out there also.

Those scope packages are not very trustworthy with loads ovewr 80 grains. You would be better-off buying a $300 Omega & finding a cheap, trustworthy scope for $80 like the Bushnell Banner. Of course, the base & rings would also cost extra, but that's the route I would take.

Another less expensive option to consider is theNEF Sidekick sold at Bass Pro & Cabelas. Prices range from $150-$270
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I would endorse the .50 caliber over the .45 caliber. There is nothing the .45 caliber can do that the .50 caliber can not match, even do better. The selection of projectiles for the .50 caliber is much better although the .45 caliber has improved. Also there are usually some excellent end of season sales on the .50 caliber. The .50 caliber has more downrange knock down. Also, why go to a smaller projectile when you want to administer as much energy into the animal as you can. Hit them as big as you can.

As for you choice of rifle, well good luck with it and be sure and stay within the safe guidelines of the manufacturer .. what ever they might be. I have a CVA and it shoots fine. Some of the recent events where they CVA/BPI barrels have failed are starting to bother me and for that reason, and the the reason that CVA does not try to explain these circumstances is why I will not endorse them anymore.

I think I would go with the NEF Sidekick in .50 caliber. http://www.dallastacticalsupplies.com/itemdetails.asp?itemid=NESPS050instead of the Optima Pro or any other CVA for that matter. Again, I do not own a NEF and only base this on some of the post I have read about how the Sidekick performs. Good luck with your choice and selection.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:24 PM

I have two of the CVA mag bolts,the same as the 209 mag's. both are in 45,have been shooting 45's for over 30 years now and only lost one deer(my fault, bad hit).
now days the 45 has a lot of projectiles , I know of about15 different one's to choose from,powerbelts in 3 diff., maxie balls x 2, bufflo balls x 3 and several more. several different type powders.
I just like the 45 because it was the first one I tried and has never failed me, and it shoots flater and will hit as hard as I need it to.

one draw back on the 45 ; some western states require 50 cal or bigger for the big game season.if you are not going west,then my recomenditation(just me) is go with the CVA mag. in 45.
"some people will argue with me ; but there wrong" LOL[]

check my post "Honey Hole" all those were taken with the 45's.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:52 PM

Get what is affordable to you. And follow the manufacturer's recommendations to the letter.A 45 is just as good as a 50 Caliber.
Don't worry the animal won't know the difference with a good place
shot. (Just My Opinion)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:49 PM

.45's are good BUT,you just about have to order anything you need for one. Same goes for the .54.
Retailers only carry what sells and .50 cal sells