Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
my thunderhawk loves the expensive stuff >

my thunderhawk loves the expensive stuff

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

my thunderhawk loves the expensive stuff

Old 10-07-2002, 12:12 PM

Default my thunderhawk loves the expensive stuff

I have been playing around with different powder/bullet combos over the last couple of days, and have found my backstraps and gravy load.
TC 50 cal thunderhawk
75 gr's T7 ffg
245 gr aero tip powerbelts

I have gone crosseyed doing searches on T7 and powerbelts, and decided to try both. One spit patch between shots kept me accurate and the powerbelts loaded with ease. Just got through cleaning the hawk after 13 shots this morning and clean up was quick and easy. Hot water and patches and I am ready to go again. I started the T7 at 70 grains and went up to 90 (once was enough)and got great results at 75, which is where I am staying. The target that I kept to show off shows three shots into one big hole 1.5" high at 50 yards and one shot about 1.5" to the right of the bullseye at 100 yards. I don't shoot anything better than that. I am ready to hunt.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: my thunderhawk loves the expensive stuff

Thats not only nice shooting, but a nice load for the whitetail deer.. Sounds like your set. I took my T/C .54 cal Renegade out the other day, and was shooting round ball on top of a .015 100% cotton pillow tick patch and 80 grains of pyrodex RS. I set up a 2+ pound coffee can on it's side, so I could shoot at the bottom. I shot at 80 yards, and then down to 30 yards. I use a T/C peep sight. I fired a total of 15 shots and never swabbed between any of them. When I was done, I had a hole in the bottom of the can the size of a large jumbo egg, and it was finally starting to throw them a little, so I had a few holes 1/2 an inch or so from the main hole, but all were pretty much dead center in the bottom of the coffee can. My furthest shot where I hunt is maybe 50 yards, so I am all set too. Good hunting this year..
Old 10-07-2002, 02:07 PM

Default RE: my thunderhawk loves the expensive stuff

My .54 thunderhawk like 777 and barnes copper sabots. 777 is great no matter what some people try to say about it!