Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black powder questions pls help newbie >

Black powder questions pls help newbie

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black powder questions pls help newbie

Old 10-23-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Black powder questions pls help newbie

Hi,
I have just aquired a .50cal thompson Center Hawken twin trigger muzzle loader percussion cap.

my question is when i pull the lock back it dosent seem to lock? do i need to use one of the triggers to lok it in the cocked position or could it maybe dirtty, the gun hasnt been fired on almost 30 years so could it possibally just need a real good cleaning if so were could i find the parts break down online to this rifle ?

Any help would be wonderful thanks

Old 10-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Black powder questions pls help newbie

Well if you don't need it right away send it to T/C and they will fix it for you. If not you have to deal with either a lock or trigger problem that most people can solve because you can see how all the parts work. Pull the lock out of the rifle and clean it good. Then see if you still have the problem and what is causing it.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Dominant Buck

http://members.aye.net/~bspen/percterm.html

that web site and these pictures should help a lot. After sitting for that length of time I would guess that the back side of the lock is all full of dust, crud, oil oil, and who knows what.

Take the screw out of the side of the stock opposite of the lock and then you can wiggle a gently pry if necessary and take the lock out. I like to put the whole thing is hot soap and water and with a tooth brush scrub the devil out of all the parts.

If the back of the lock is full of crud, get a coffee can and put some good solvent in the can and with a tooth brush type brush again, scrub the back side of the lock off.

Then spray it with a mist of isopropyl alcohol or WD-40 and take an air compressor and plow all the lock dry and as clean as possible. Take patches and wipe clean any parts you can get too. Q-tips will also help here.

Now take a oil like sprayRem Oil with teflon and give all the moving parts a light coat of spray. And wipe out the stock, etc. You might have to clean the trigger assembly also.

If you put it back together it should work. I am sure some parts are so gunked up that they are not staying in place. If that does not work send the lock to Thompson Center Arms. Call them first and talk to them.

Roundball will see this and can tell you how to break the thing down to the screws I am sure..
Old 10-23-2005, 04:51 PM

wow thanks so much will try to take it a part and see if i cant fix it thanks alot

Old 10-23-2005, 06:06 PM

before you take it all apart check the trigger adjustment screw. it may be missing or just out of adjustment. it can be adjusted so that the set trigger is not need and the action trigger is very light. if the action trigger it to light it will not set.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:14 PM

I am sure some parts are so gunked up that they are not staying in place
Newtothis: I had a similar situation with my flintlock and it is not even a year old. That is the hammer would not stay back, I had to rock it back and forth a bit to get it locked.

The solution was what Cayugad suggests. The parts in my lock were getting covered in crud, preventing the lock from working properly. Take that lock out, its easier than you think, and give it a good cleaning. That should hopefully fix it for you.

~Robert
Old 10-23-2005, 09:20 PM

was just kinda goofing around with it and if i really push it back and rock it it seems to catch going to take it all apart and clean it up

thanks