Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Plastic sabot solvent >

Plastic sabot solvent

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Plastic sabot solvent

Old 10-22-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Plastic sabot solvent

I bought a kit from Cabelas that had some CVA Advanced Sabot Shooter's Solvent that is supposed to break down the buildup of plastic from shooting sabots. Do I really need to use that? I am looking to purchase a T/C Omega and want to set it up to shoot sabots and didn't know what I should get for cleaning.

I make up a solution for all my other BP rifles that uses
Water Soluble Oil 3 oz. (6 Tbl.) (1/2 batch 3 Tbl.)
Murphy’s Oil Soap 1 oz. (2 Tbl.) (1/2 batch 1 Tbl.)
Witch Hazel 4 oz. (8 Tbl.) (1/2 batch 4 Tbl.)
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz. (1 Cup) (1/2 batch ½ Cup)
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz. (2 Cups) (1/2 batch 1 Cup)

Will this solution also work for sabots? Also do you use a bronze bore brush after shooting sabots?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:02 PM

Default RE: Plastic sabot solvent

Why would you want a so call made up solution after spending all that money on such a good Weapon.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Finnaddict.. that mixture you have listed looks a lot like moose milk which I use to lube patches when shooting roundball. This is not really the best solvent a person could use. Some even swab a barrel with the stuff but I am not about to swab a barrel with an oil base product.

Are you thinking of; M.A.P.
[ul][*]Murphy's oil soap (M)[*]isopropyl alcohol (A)[*]hydrogen peroxide (P)[/ul]
MAP is a solution that will clean off hard to get fowling but it too is not intended to clean off plastic fowling. If you want a cheap fowling cleaner that does take off some plastic and other fowlingthen use some kerosene, turpentine, denaturedalcohol or break cleaner (from NAPA and keep it and all that other stuff off your stock and scope) .

Personally I use Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. The thing is you do not have to use it every time you shoot. Only when you get a build up. Then all you have to do is dunk the bore brush into the solvent and scrub the barrel about ten strokes and it will remove the plastic, copper, and lead fowling. Be sure and wash the bore brush off under the kitchen sink. That bore solvent can play heck on your brush (why many of them wear out so fast). When I am not out to take the Plastic , Lead, and Copper fowling out of the barrel, I like a product called Butch's Bore Shine, or Black Off Rusty Duck cleaner. I buy the stuff at Wal Mart and it works great.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:48 PM

Moosemilk,Kerosane, Turpentine, Buy the cleanerfrom Cabelas.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:19 PM

Yeah cayugad that is my own version of a Moosemilk. I use that mixture to clean all my BP rifles. I have 3 sidelock percussion and 1 inline. It really does a bang up job of cleaning. I'm one of those that subscribe to the theory of not using hot soapy water to clean. I tried it when I first started, but over time changed to just using Moosemilk. It seems to do just fine.

For swabbing between shots I use your 50% summer formula windshield wiper fluid with 50% isopropal alcohol (91%). It is excellent for swabbing and dries fast.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:23 PM

Now is Windshield wiper fluid
Old 10-22-2005, 05:34 PM

Hey edggy don't be so quick to discount homemade formulas. I have spent hours reading in books on BP shooting and hours in fourms like these and there is mountains of information on homemade formulas for cleaning and the like. I even make up a lube called Moose snot. How's that for a name? LOL !!!!

These solutions work just fine for what they are intended for and I will probably use them for years to come unless something else catches my eye that may work better.

Isn't this just a great hobby and sport.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM

You asked about using a cleaning kit from Cabelas .
Old 10-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Finaddict

I bought a kit from Cabelas that had some CVA Advanced Sabot Shooter's Solvent that is supposed to break down the buildup of plastic from shooting sabots. Do I really need to use that? I am looking to purchase a T/C Omega and want to set it up to shoot sabots and didn't know what I should get for cleaning.

I make up a solution for all my other BP rifles that uses
Water Soluble Oil 3 oz. (6 Tbl.) (1/2 batch 3 Tbl.)
Murphy’s Oil Soap 1 oz. (2 Tbl.) (1/2 batch 1 Tbl.)
Witch Hazel 4 oz. (8 Tbl.) (1/2 batch 4 Tbl.)
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz. (1 Cup) (1/2 batch ½ Cup)
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz. (2 Cups) (1/2 batch 1 Cup)

Will this solution also work for sabots? Also do you use a bronze bore brush after shooting sabots?
That stuff will not remove plastic fouling. On top of that, loading a sabot with this stuff in your bore will become more & more difficult as you fire more shots.

This stuff below is the best I found for removing plastic fouling.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1166
Old 10-22-2005, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: edggy

You asked about using a cleaning kit from Cabelas .
I guess what I was wondering was if I could find something less expensive than a commercial made cleaning solution. If not that's fine also. There's nothing wrong with wanting to save a bit of cash these days.

Quick Reply: Plastic sabot solvent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.