Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Opening morning - Fouled/Clean Barrel? >

Opening morning - Fouled/Clean Barrel?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opening morning - Fouled/Clean Barrel?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opening morning - Fouled/Clean Barrel?

I sighted my rifle in clean so I hunt clean. The good thing about this is: if I do notfire the gunthat day, I blow the bullet out with Co2 and just swab and oil it. No cleaning ritual to go thru that evening. I think the reason for fliers is oily residue from storage that is not removed prior to the first shot. I always swab the hell out of the bore with alcohol before heading out.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: livbucks

I sighted my rifle in clean so I hunt clean. The good thing about this is: if I do notfire the gunthat day, I blow the bullet out with Co2 and just swab and oil it. No cleaning ritual to go thru that evening. I think the reason for fliers is oily residue from storage that is not removed prior to the first shot. I always swab the hell out of the bore with alcohol before heading out.
Amen...
Old 09-07-2005, 04:59 PM

Sounds good - but , sooner or later, the deer are going to associate the smell of rubbing alcohol with danger
Old 09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Sounds good - but , sooner or later, the deer are going to associate the smell of rubbing alcohol with danger
True, very true....something to think about
Old 09-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Although I don't have the first shot problem discussed in this post, I have left my barrel fouled several times for a whole week with no ill results. Stainless steel Black Diamondburning Pyrodex. I would imagine some of these new powders like Pinnacle or BM3 might be even less corrosive.
Yes, they are definately less (almost non-corrosive) to steel. The residue after shooting is somewhat corrosive to brass however. If you use the .25ACP conversion the brass has to be cleaned soon after shooting. Pinnacle is supposed to be less sensitive to moisture than the previous formula of American Pioneer that it was derived from. Black Mag'3 seems to be not as sensitive to moisture either. It will recover after drying if exposed to too much moisture.(Don't recommend trying to dry it over an open fire - THAT IS A JOKE NOT A RECOMMENDATION). Trying to inject a little humor guys.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just like any firearm you must learn theirtraits and hunt accordingly. So the only right answer is Trail and Error for your particular ML/load.

In my particular case the clean bore shot hits where I want it to and the fouled follow up is also AOK. ThereforeI hunt on a clean barrel. When on the range I swab between shots but before season I will shoot completely clean and few fouled shots to follow making sure everything is good for the field. I must say a clean barrel to me is completely free of excess oil/water/cleaning solution/powder residue/etc.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Problem solved!
I lubed a patch with Bore Butter and ran it in the barrel a few times. My first shot at 100 yards was low about 3 inches from point of aim and not left at all!
Thanks for all suggestions. Is it deer season yet?