Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Clean barrel/dirty barrel >

Clean barrel/dirty barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Clean barrel/dirty barrel

Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Clean barrel/dirty barrel

How many of you have rifles that seem to group better with a dirty barrel and can someone explain why. I have a Ruger model77 in 17 hmr and a Remington 700 in 7mm magnum that shoot better groups after a few rounds. Makes me not want to clean them.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:44 AM

Default RE: Clean barrel/dirty barrel

From what I understand many target shooters shoot a fouling round or two before actually competing. At least that is what I hear.

I know with my remington muzzle loader I shoot just about every shot from a clean barrel. I'm more worried about where that first shot is going to go since you don't get too many chances at a follow up shot with this kind of gun. It shoots pretty close any way though. But when I am sighting it in I clean the barrel and let it cool between shots. It is time consuming, but worth it to me. Especially considering I have a range of up to 150 yards where I hunt and I sight it in at 130 yards.

I don't beleive cleaing the barrel is as big of an issue any more with the newer cleaner powders. I mean I wouldn't leave it scummy all the time. But I don't think shooting it and leaving it sit would actually hurt the barrel any. I'm talking rimfire and centerfire here, not muzzle loaders. With an ML it would depend on the type of powder you are using. I don't clean my .22's or my .17 every time I shoot them and I have had no problems with them yet. You do want to get the lead and copper fouling out of them, so I'm not saying never clean them. Just that from what I can see the newer powders and primers at not corrisive and it doesn't hurt the barrel any. Now if you are shooting some kind of cheap army surplus crap with corrosive primers or something I would clean after every session. I don't think it a big issue with premium ammo though.

The only way to really know would be to try it though. Keep in mind heat may effect it as well.

I'm not a gunsmith or a target shooter either, so I may be full of crap.

Paul
Old 08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Clean barrel/dirty barrel

Some do and some don't show any signs of lost accuracy after a thorough cleaning. I believe the reason for the improvements is pitts ornon-smooth face in the bore. After some fouling and light copper they smooth these inconsistencies out therefore improving your accuracy. How they got there can be lack of cleaning or care, leaving solvents in for extended period of time, etc. I personally think more harm can come by not cleaning the bore, so clean it and if it requires a foul shot or 2 then thats what you do prior to hunting.