Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lube on Conicals??? >

Lube on Conicals???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lube on Conicals???

Old 09-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lube on Conicals???

This might be a stupid question, but what is the purpose of lube on bullets such as the Maxi-Ball and Buffalo Bullets? Is it simply to help in getting the bullet down the barrel? My brother has a box of Maxi Balls that are not lubed....would it be possible to shoot them without lube? Or would that somehow be dangerous?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lube on Conicals???

I was always told the lube on the conical assists in the loading of course. It also helps the conical engage and use the rifling on the way out of the barrel. The lube also helps to soften the fowling which will occur from the ignition of the powder. The lube will also help protect the conical from the heat of the ignition blast. Many even go as far a putting a lubed bore button or wonder wad under the flat based conicals for further assistance and protection. It will help therefore reduce lead deposits in the barrel of the rifle. It probably help in the over all accuracy of the conical although I have not tested that theory.

Can you shoot a maxiball out of your rifle without lube? Sure can, your rifle. Is it dangerous, well not until the barrel gets all leaded up and you start to short load or have other loading problems....
Old 09-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bdan68

This might be a stupid question, but what is the purpose of lube on bullets such as the Maxi-Ball and Buffalo Bullets? Is it simply to help in getting the bullet down the barrel? My brother has a box of Maxi Balls that are not lubed....would it be possible to shoot them without lube? Or would that somehow be dangerous?
The purpose is to keep fouiling soft and minimize or prevent leading. I shoot naked, lplain lead bullets without a lube - I put a Wonder Wad in first with the bullet on top. Works great, and shoots very accurately! This group was shot with naked Maxi-balls with a Wonder Wad.

Old 09-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Very impressive group! Do you have a scope on that rifle?