HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Omega Cleaning Between Shots
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Tahquamenon
Typical Buck

Default RE: Omega Cleaning Between Shots

Keep in mind, I use a heavy brass range rod for loading at the range and in the field (collapsable rod for the field). I use the feeble factory rod for a backup to the heavy duty range rod.

Sabot shooting:
From a bone dry clean bore with a lubed breech plug installed. I lightly natural lube a patch and run in the bore down and up (This is to control any potential for flash rust). Then a clean patch down and up.

Then load powder and sabot'ed projectile.

Shoot.

Then spit patch down and up, flip patch and do again.

Then 50/50% 99%/isopropyl alcohol & windshield washer fluid(Thanks Cayugad , I was using only alcohol for yearswith great results but mixed with the washer fluid does seem to clean the primer fouling a littlebetter)patch down and up, flip and do again.

Then a dry patch down and up, flip and do again.

Then load powder & sabot, and fire when ready.

Repeat the same procedure for every shot withevery ML I have when shooting sabot'ed projectiles.

Best and most consistant accuracy and performance. Loading is the easiest as well when cleaning in-between each shot as I have described.

In the event that a quick followup is required (although I have yet to need one), I carry a speedloader with a worked up load, wad and conical which will load easily and quickly.

Never (ever) have I pulled a breech plug or nipple to clean after every shot. You may need to "pick" the flute in the breech plug depending on how fouling a powder you shoot. After 7-10 shots, I will "loosen" and then re"snug" the breech plug to prevent seizure.

My .0002