Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cayugad's Swabbing Solution >

Cayugad's Swabbing Solution

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad's Swabbing Solution

Old 08-23-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Cayugad's Swabbing Solution

Shortly after I figured out sabot rounds need to have the barrel swabbed between shots for good accuracy, I started using amixture of Windex with Vinegar and water (50/50). Got this recipie from the someone on the CVA board and have been pretty happy with it for a number of years.

Last week the bottle ran out and I decided to mix up some of Cayugad's recommended solution - Window washersolution and iso alcohol 50/50. Today, I shot the best group I have ever fired from my T/C Black Diamond XR - one hole about the size of a quarter with the 250 grain Shockwaves for five shots at 100 yards. Maybe I'm having a good day, I thought . . . . Pulled out the Omega and shot the best group it has ever produced as well . . .

Maybe there is some added element of consistency to this mixture, particularly the alcohol assisting in the drying of the bore? Anyway, thanks Cayugad. Never too old to try a different dance step.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cayugad's Swabbing Solution

yep.....alchohol drys REAL quick.....i used to use JUST alchohol...now im trying a 50/50 mix of windex and alchohol.......i think cayugad uses that or washer fluid...........i like the windex...i think the ammonia does something good for you.............congrats on the great groups....stick with it....dont change anything and keep punchin them holes..
Old 08-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Dominant Buck

My Black Diamond XR was right on the money today also. Maybe the moon was lined up with stars or something strange like that. I really like that solution. I also use to to clean the inlines with until all of the major fowling is gone. Then I like to brush the bore and run some Butch's Bore Shine through it on a patch or two. That stuff always manages to pick up some fowling that all the others leave behind....
Old 08-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

one hole about the size of a quarter with the 250 grain Shockwaves for five shots at 100 yards.
What type of propelent were you useing ?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM

Jimmy - I was using 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets in the Black Diamond XR - with an RWS musket cap.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are three good options to mix the alky 50-50% with.

Windex with ammonia
Windex with vinegar
Windshield washer fluid with bug remover
Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 PM

T7 - do you know of any ""apples to apples" comparison ever done between these three solutions? I was pretty happy with the way the Windex with Vinegar removed soot and gunk . . . I guess the key ingredient was the rubbing alcohol.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Cayugad, does your mixture remove the plastic fouling from the sabots?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 PM

I would assume that we are talking the 90% isopropyl alcohol variety? I would think that the Windex provides plenty of water to the mix. I've used mostly Moose Milk. to swab with.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Cayugad, does your mixture remove the plastic fouling from the sabots?
I do not believe so. I do use it to clean most of the fowling out of the rifle, but when I have plastic, copper and lead fowling in the barrel then I break out the Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber.

Quick Reply: Cayugad's Swabbing Solution

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.