HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Cayugad's Swabbing Solution (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/110071-cayugads-swabbing-solution.html)

Roskoe 08-23-2005 09:59 PM

Cayugad's Swabbing Solution

Shortly after I figured out sabot rounds need to have the barrel swabbed between shots for good accuracy, I started using amixture of Windex with Vinegar and water (50/50). Got this recipie from the someone on the CVA board and have been pretty happy with it for a number of years.

Last week the bottle ran out and I decided to mix up some of Cayugad's recommended solution - Window washersolution and iso alcohol 50/50. Today, I shot the best group I have ever fired from my T/C Black Diamond XR - one hole about the size of a quarter with the 250 grain Shockwaves for five shots at 100 yards. Maybe I'm having a good day, I thought . . . . Pulled out the Omega and shot the best group it has ever produced as well . . .

Maybe there is some added element of consistency to this mixture, particularly the alcohol assisting in the drying of the bore? Anyway, thanks Cayugad. Never too old to try a different dance step.

mauser06 08-23-2005 10:05 PM

RE: Cayugad's Swabbing Solution

yep.....alchohol drys REAL quick.....i used to use JUST alchohol...now im trying a 50/50 mix of windex and alchohol.......i think cayugad uses that or washer fluid...........i like the windex...i think the ammonia does something good for you.............congrats on the great groups....stick with it....dont change anything and keep punchin them holes..

cayugad 08-23-2005 10:36 PM

My Black Diamond XR was right on the money today also. Maybe the moon was lined up with stars or something strange like that. I really like that solution. I also use to to clean the inlines with until all of the major fowling is gone. Then I like to brush the bore and run some Butch's Bore Shine through it on a patch or two. That stuff always manages to pick up some fowling that all the others leave behind....

ijimmy 08-24-2005 05:26 AM

one hole about the size of a quarter with the 250 grain Shockwaves for five shots at 100 yards.
What type of propelent were you useing ?

Roskoe 08-24-2005 11:10 AM

Jimmy - I was using 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets in the Black Diamond XR - with an RWS musket cap.

Triple Se7en 08-24-2005 01:48 PM

There are three good options to mix the alky 50-50% with.

Windex with ammonia
Windex with vinegar
Windshield washer fluid with bug remover

Roskoe 08-24-2005 04:20 PM

T7 - do you know of any ""apples to apples" comparison ever done between these three solutions? I was pretty happy with the way the Windex with Vinegar removed soot and gunk . . . I guess the key ingredient was the rubbing alcohol.

Rebel Hog 08-24-2005 07:10 PM

Cayugad, does your mixture remove the plastic fouling from the sabots?

elk_chaser1 08-24-2005 07:38 PM

I would assume that we are talking the 90% isopropyl alcohol variety? I would think that the Windex provides plenty of water to the mix. I've used mostly Moose Milk. to swab with.

cayugad 08-24-2005 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Cayugad, does your mixture remove the plastic fouling from the sabots?
I do not believe so. I do use it to clean most of the fowling out of the rifle, but when I have plastic, copper and lead fowling in the barrel then I break out the Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber.