Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 encore barrel changing >

encore barrel changing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

encore barrel changing

Old 08-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: encore barrel changing

I guess it is one of those "If it happens to me I'll believe it" things like the crud ring being so bad you have to switch to different primers or plugs. I never have had an issue with the pin at all except sometimes I find it hard to line up when I reinstall it. The barrels seem to hold their zero quite well.

I would not hesitate to change from the 209x.50 to the .308 and just go hunting without checking it, I know it will shoot fine. Cool thing is I put the same scope on both barrels so they feel the same when shouldered and shooting.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:21 PM

I have two barrels and both of them seem to hold there zero after swapping back and forth, removing and re-installing, etc. Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:42 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

I guess it is one of those "If it happens to me I'll believe it" things like the crud ring being so bad you have to switch to different primers or plugs. I never have had an issue with the pin at all except sometimes I find it hard to line up when I reinstall it. The barrels seem to hold their zero quite well.

I would not hesitate to change from the 209x.50 to the .308 and just go hunting without checking it, I know it will shoot fine. Cool thing is I put the same scope on both barrels so they feel the same when shouldered and shooting.
I guess what I explaining Pitts, is just cause I don't have trouble with my remington 700 doesn't mean that all doesn't have trouble.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

I guess I am lucky???? Wish I could relate but I have had no problems with my rifle in the 6 years or so since I have owned it. I bought it the first year they came out. I know the hinge pin means squat if the barrel locks up right.

Buy all the pins you want!!! I will just buy better bulllets.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:28 PM
bigcountry

Pitts, listen up, I put a post about a hinge pin. It was my opinion and shared opinion was alot of custom encore companies.Yes they sell hinge pins. You of course came on to dispute it and explain you never heard of the possible issue. You could have have just toldyouropinion of the problem, but you wanted to dispute it. Your case is"well, my onegun I have tested didn'thave problems, so everyones else couldn't either".What is wrong with someone putting their opinion on here?

Old 08-20-2005, 10:40 PM
bigcountry

http://www.prbullet.com/encore2.htm

Good article for you. Not only have I read it but have seen it.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing wrong with someone doing that Bigcountry that is all I am doing. I personally haven't seen that problem I know others have. I actually called T/C to ask them about it when I decided to try another propellant and wanted load data. I saw someone who works for the company that sells the replacement pins post about the big problems people have with pins and asked the tech support people what they thought about it and was told it is bull.

The company that makes the rifle told me as long as you have a rifle in good repair and a pin that is not damaged you should not have any problems with lock up and accuracy.

The people who sell the pins would need special ones to fit evey barrel and gun if that was the case. It isn't though.

In my opinion.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry fellows didn't mean to start an argument.I only know what mine is doing and trying to rectfy that.
I took and marked the pin and loaded up a box of 25/06 bullets ,going to take it to the range soon as I can and try once more changing barrels back and forth to see what happens.
As I said before after rezeroing each one they shoot exceptionaly well.So it has to be something in changing the barrels.
Don't have any pics of the 25/06 groups becausethey were shot on another guys target and didn't have a camera then,but looking in my notes @ 100 yds the least group was .394 and @300 was .607.The 50 muzzleloader has shot many one hole groups and has empressed fellows at the rifle range.The pic in the first post was shot recently and one below was shot year before last.
using a different bullet..
Will pass on what I find out.,Thanks again

Old 08-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Herman we are not fighting just stating our opinions. I think it is good that we can disagree civilly on this board. Looking at your groups I don't think anything is wrong with the rifle. If everything was the same on the rifle including scope settings could we just be seeing the difference in loads? Weather, humidity or tempature? I notice when I change loads I can keep groups about the same size unless I really screw up a combo. The impact point will change though.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

pitt i ment the remark about argument in a joking manner just forgot to add the little smily.Am at the age now that I don't know wether I'm getting on or off any more.
I added the last 2 groups just to show how accurate the rifle has been since I got it.Once I get either one back together and rezero they shoot very good.
Last season I didn't use the encore for muzzleloader season because I used a savage,but took it to the range to check it out in case I wanted to use it and shot two 3-shot groups,both groups were less than an inch.So it stays on from range session to session but just gets off changing from one cal to another.
The main reason I want to find out why this isn't working is that I was thinkng of getting a couple of barrels in other calibers since the 25/06 and 50 cal shot so good.Would like to try one in 22/250 and 204 .I need more guns like I need another hole in the head.

Quick Reply: encore barrel changing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.