HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   encore barrel changing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/109334-encore-barrel-changing.html)

herman 08-18-2005 06:57 AM

encore barrel changing

Anyone have an encore and change barrels say from muzzleloader to reg rifle and back and forth.If so do you have to zero after changing the barrel each time.
Mine everytime I change the barrel from one to another it is off sometimes way off.Yesterday I started with the 50 cal shot a group (was allready zeroed from before) changed to the 25/06 barrel (it wasn't even on the paper),after rezeroing both cal,shoot exceptitional well,changed back to the 50 cal and it was off again.
Does others have this problem ,curious???

bigcountry 08-18-2005 07:15 AM

RE: encore barrel changing

Did you ever change out your hinge pin? Some are a tad too loose.

herman 08-18-2005 07:26 AM

Yes have an over sized hinge pin. tried posting a pic of yesterdays results but couldn't get it to come up.
I know changing most anything on a reg rifle would make you have to rezero,but thought this was one of the selling points on the encore.
Wanted to se what others was doing/

bigcountry 08-18-2005 08:18 AM

Well, I don't know. But on mine and knights. Totally disassembing the gun, I seem to always have a POI change. But with the knights, I can see that cause of bedding. But Encores, I don't know why they would do it. but have seen it on them also.

Pittsburghunter 08-18-2005 04:18 PM

No POA seams to stay about the same. I switch between three barrels and have had no problems original pin and all. I live in NH though so T/C sells us all the best guns they make. You people have to deal with what you get.:D

cayugad 08-18-2005 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

No POA seams to stay about the same. I switch between three barrels and have had no problems original pin and all. I live in NH though so T/C sells us all the best guns they make. You people have to deal with what you get.:D
I'll remember where you live should I ever need a really good quality Thompson Center... you can walk right down to the factory and pick it out for me...:D Any .58 caliber flintlocks around there?

It is strange that one has problems and another does not. I would be calling Thompson Center tech support and finding out why. With what they pay for those rifles they sure better work like they claim.

bigcountry 08-18-2005 04:41 PM

Yea, I know some people that get wonderful success and others with headspace issues. others with oversized pins, other had to buy bullberry forarms. ButI ended up selling my ML barrel to my brother since I like my Knight elite better. And keeping my encore as a varmit gun.

Pittsburghunter 08-18-2005 05:19 PM

I was just kidding, lol!! The hinge pin is just around for the ride after the barrel locks up up so I would look there last not first for problems. Are you resting the gun on it's barrel when shooting? If you are don't, use the forestock as close to you as you can. Use a piece of wood to tap in the pin so you are not shocking your scope. I use an old ball starter with the round top to do this. Are you sure the butt stock is tight? On new rifles it would not hurt to remove the buttplate and tighten up the screw holding it to the receiver.

Last but not least check all the screws on your scope mount bases and rings the first couple times you shoot the barrel to make sure they have not loosened at all. This all will help you retain zero. You will have a slight change in POA everytime you shoot with every rifle this should keep you close to MOA though. Yes the Encore shoots MOA!!

herman 08-18-2005 06:26 PM

Thanks fellows ,I have checked and rechecked all the screws,a fellow on another board said he takes and marks his hinge pin so it will index the same each time,so I will try that soon as I get time.
Pittsburghunter,I did get a 45 cal barrel that you folks passed on down this way,that I never did get to shoot good,but these 2(50 cal,and 26/06 ) I don't know how you let them get by,believe me they both will drive tacks.Don't know how many 3-shot one hole groups that I have shot with the 50 cal and the 25/06 myself and my shooting buddie shot six 3-shot groups with it in a row @ 300 yds that measured one inch and less.This is the main reason I was curious about what others got when they changed the barrels back and forth.After getting them back to zero,they shoot and stay there.
Bigcountry,what cal are you using for your varmit rifle in the encore ?I couldn't believe how good the 25/06 shot,but it only likes one bullet so far and that is a hornady 120 gr.

bigcountry 08-18-2005 09:03 PM

Pitts, its a fairly known around that the hindge pin can cause you problems.

Looking for 204ruger. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. No pun Hee Hee.